World Sea Fishing Forums banner

SOSB Response to Cornwall IFCA Committee Meeting on Illegal Bass targeting by fixed netters

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Bilbag 
#1 ·
At the Cornwall IFCA meeting on 18 September, Councillors and other Committee members said they had never before received so many messages on a single issue. So thank you very much to all of you who helped to get the illegal targeting of bass by some fixed netters onto the CIFCA agenda.

You can read the Save Our Sea Bass reaction to the Committee meeting here:

Committee Members Demand Action On Illegal Bass Targeting

Font Sign Waste Signage Photo caption

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
What about the lady who kept saying that MOST of the Mevagissey fishermen were law abiding? How would she know and does that mean that some are not? That is what she seemed to be saying. Perhaps she ought to let her fellow members and the officers of CIFCA know who these guys are.
I think she also said that the Meva handliners there were having a great season but were catching well out to sea as there were a lot of seals about which were chasing the fish out there. That seems very odd given that the netters are shooting right inshore and they are the ones landing the bass. Something there not adding up there and that's for certain. I'm sure the landing data will confirm or deny what she had to say.
This was also about 2013 - 2019 and not 2020.
It was about netters and not handliners.
She also said bass were subject to a TAC which isn't true.
Also said that the data didn't show if bass were caught in nets or on lines which is also untrue.
I'm shocked that this wasn't challenged by the CIFCA officers. I guess it shows what a shambles this whole organisation is. Managed purely for the industry.

#5 ·
What about the lady who kept saying that MOST of the Mevagissey fishermen were law abiding? How would she know and does that mean that some are not? That is what she seemed to be saying. Perhaps she ought to let her fellow members and the officers of CIFCA know who these guys are.
I think she also said that the Meva handliners there were having a great season but were catching well out to sea as there were a lot of seals about which were chasing the fish out there. That seems very odd given that the netters are shooting right inshore and they are the ones landing the bass. Something there not adding up there and that's for certain. I'm sure the landing data will confirm or deny what she had to say.
This was also about 2013 - 2019 and not 2020.
It was about netters and not handliners.
She also said bass were subject to a TAC which isn't true.
Also said that the data didn't show if bass were caught in nets or on lines which is also untrue.
I'm shocked that this wasn't challenged by the CIFCA officers. I guess it shows what a shambles this whole organisation is. Managed purely for the industry.
I would hope that her "inaccuracies" will be challenged by SOSB and shown as proof that CIFCA committee members don't have a clue about what is really going on-or maybe they do ?

#6 ·
Yes, I agree. I think SOSB need to challenge her remarks given how wide of the mark they were. At the very least they need to brought to the attention of the MMO who appointed her. According to the CIFCA website this lady is there for her knowledge of commercial fishing and guess what - she is secretary of the Mevagissey fisherman's association!! Now that's a surprise.
The link provided in the press release is very useful if you wish to hear exactly what was said.

#10 ·
According to the CIFCA website this lady is there for her knowledge of commercial fishing and guess what - she is secretary of the Mevagissey fisherman's association!! Now that's a surprise.
Perhaps her knowledge of commercial fishing would be better if she was working on a supermarket fish counter. Again the attitude that knowledge of the commercial fishing industry must not come from people in or connected to the industry. Perhaps a Road Crossing Attendant from a land locked city could give advice on commercial fishing.

#8 ·
@cfish - I have no doubt you are 100% correct and this tends to confirm what SOSB are saying so WTF is no one taking any action? All the handliners and compliant netters along with anglers are suffering as a result of the greed and illegal actions of a few. &0%v of landings that contain bass contain over 90% bass FFS - if that isn't targeting what is.
I'm not sure if the CIFCA member referred to above was trying to protect these guys or expose them but I was shocked by her total lack of knowledge of the bass fishery and MMO landing data amongst other things. If this is the quality of member we have on CIFCA then no wonder its a shambles. The more SOSB delve into this the bigger the mess they unearth. Sort out these miscreants and any others will fall into line. If others see them getting away with it they will try it on as well and that's the last thing anyone wants - although I would have some sympathy with their actions.
Its obvious from the landing data that the vessels can be identified - so the authorities must know who they are - wouldn't be surprised to find a couple of aluminium "mullet" "cough" netters in there.

#12 ·
the importance of not allowing stakeholders to make fishery decisions - conflict of interest. Co-management should only extend to decision-makers consulting with fishermen, not letting them vote on measures.
He says fishermen can only be consulted, not allowed to vote.

Yes, I agree. I think SOSB need to challenge her remarks given how wide of the mark they were. At the very least they need to brought to the attention of the MMO who appointed her. According to the CIFCA website this lady is there for her knowledge of commercial fishing and guess what - she is secretary of the Mevagissey fisherman's association!! Now that's a surprise.
The link provided in the press release is very useful if you wish to hear exactly what was said.
You seem to think that she is not suitable for a position on the CIFCA because of her connection with the Mevagissey fisherman's association.

Just to explain, the other two jobs mentioned, fish counter and road crossing attendant. Sorry that it is not clear that the idea is that if you do not want people with commercial fishing connections and experience. Then somebody with either a tenuous or or non existent connection with fishing should be on the committee.

#13 ·
You seem to think that she is not suitable for a position on the CIFCA because of her connection with the Mevagissey fisherman's association

Really? Wrong again. " You seem to think . . . . . . ". Rowlocks - that is the interpretation you have chosen to put on my comment. I've not said she is unsuitable. I drew attention to her factually incorrect and misleading comments.

Thanks for the explanation about the fish counter attendant and road crossing attendant. The Inshore fishery and conservation authorities are not just about commercial fishing.
You seem to be totally ignorant of the selection criteria for IFCA members. Some are county councillors who may or may not have connections to the commercial fishing industry. Some may be anglers or conservationists. Others are appointed by the MMO to give a good cross section of representation of the various sectors involved in inshore fishing and conservation. In Cornwall we have someone from Natural England, another from Cornwall Wildlife, someone from the EA and a marine biologist along with a few who have knowledge of the local commercial sector. There's a couple of guys there for their knowledge of angling along with a nationally respected crab pot mechanic. It's the same for all IFCAs - the C stands for "Conservation" not "Commercial".
So IFCAs will include members without connections to the commercial sector which I think is fair. Other groups besides commercial fishermen utilise the inshore environment.

#15 ·
Just to get this right, You have been unable to listen to the recording, (for which there is a link in the SOSB press release), but consider yourself to be in a position to comment on my observations about what was said in that recording. Priceless.
This is also the first time that I have ever been told that a double exclamation mark indicates disapproval.
I'm glad that you are glad to hear I am happy to have the commercial sector involved!!

#16 ·
Just to get this right, You have been unable to listen to the recording, (for which there is a link in the SOSB press release), but consider yourself to be in a position to comment on my observations about what was said in that recording. Priceless.
This is also the first time that I have ever been told that a double exclamation mark indicates disapproval.
I'm glad that you are glad to hear I am happy to have the commercial sector involved!!
Please point out to the bits where I commented on your observations on the comments made at the meeting. Well there was this one.

If they can be shown to be incorrect then she should be challenged on these comments.
That seems to be agreeing with you or perhaps I have that wrong as well.

Since I am clearly having such difficulty in understanding what you mean by the sentence below perhaps you could explain it.

According to the CIFCA website this lady is there for her knowledge of commercial fishing and guess what - she is secretary of the Mevagissey fisherman's association!! Now that's a surprise.

#19 ·
A new question about all this illegally caught bass in Cornwall. If it is commercial fishermen that are doing it why not simply report their vessel number to the CIFCA reps. It is, or should be clearly marked in five locations one on each quarter and one visible from the air.

#22 ·
For clarification and so there can be no doubt whatsoever about who is landing these fish. The MMO landing data, (which SOSB has made clear in their press releases is where these figures came from), only relates to REGISTERED vessels and those sales which go through REGISTERED buyers. There can be no doubt that these landings were from registered commercial vessels.
I am sure that everyone with even a basic knowledge of commercial fish sales will be aware that the PLN will be on the sales doc, along with the name of the master or owner of the vessel and is included when the MMO collect data. The PLN is anonymised when the data is placed in the public domain.

#23 ·
Well that's a change of story. As for SOSB making it clear where their figures come from i'm afraid not they pick their data carefully from the published figures sometimes going back to before major changes were made for catching bass like comparing figures for level of bass caught today with that when pair trawling for bass was allowed. SInce you loudly say
There can be no doubt that these landings were from registered commercial vessels.
Then I find it very hard to believe that theses catches are not legal.

Thanks for clearing this up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.