World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With so much variety on the market these days how about we post a few screen shots of the performance of our own sounders in real use rather than try to make sense of advertising hype.

Ive been very happy with my lowrance hds units (not the new touch models) and here are a few screen shots showing different styles of fishing I do in my area. These are from the standard 200-50htz and side scan lss2 transducers. I did try the airmar tm 260 but saw no benefits from it, infact it I couldnt get it to pick up bottom in water over 200m.

All my settings are in metric, metres for depth and kph for speed. Please contribute and post some images.
JonD

2oz sinkers falling into a school of snapper.

Both the 200 and 50htz still showing bottom in over 300m.

200htz still holding bottom in 250m at 40kmh

Shallow water snorkel spot

general reef fish (small)

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so nobody wants to contribute or coment :2:. Ive been contacted by a Lowrance technician since posting these images who tells me my settings are not set up to well and that I should be able to fine tune my units for much better sensitivity and clarity. That sounds good to me as I was already pleased with the performance.

Doesn't anyone ever save screen shots, its a case of pressing two buttons at the same time. As a kid I used to sit in class at school drawing the ideal bottom structure, wrecks, and fish schools etc.
JonD

This is from the first version of side scan.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Ok so nobody wants to contribute or coment :2:. Ive been contacted by a Lowrance technician since posting these images who tells me my settings are not set up to well and that I should be able to fine tune my units for much better sensitivity and clarity. That sounds good to me as I was already pleased with the performance. Doesn't anyone ever save screen shots, its a case of pressing two buttons at the same time. As a kid I used to sit in class at school drawing the ideal bottom structure, wrecks, and fish schools etc. JonD This is from the first version of side scan. http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/JonDP/media/_MG_3376_zpsec97b789.jpg.html
Give it time and people will :) I am waiting for delivery of a Garmin 551dv to add to my Garmin collection of toys. Problem will be, where to put it?

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Not screen shots as such but a couple of pics of the Furuno I've fitted. It probably isn't set up ideally.

The one with fish symbols is a Pollack coming up under the boat as it is reeled in.

Furuno 1.jpg

Furuno 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Iv just bought this little bunch if electrics, not got quite enough spare cash for side scan yet but I hope to have saved enough over the next two months to buy it. It's a subject I'm interested..

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not screen shots as such but a couple of pics of the Furuno I've fitted. It probably isn't set up ideally.

The one with fish symbols is a Pollack coming up under the boat as it is reeled in.

View attachment 200027

View attachment 200028
How do you find this Furuno unit ? im really interested in buying one .. but iam looking at others like the raymarine dragonfly and lowrance products .. at the mo the Furuno interests me the most but most people local to me have lowrance so until your screen shots I have not seen one in action

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
How do you find this Furuno unit ? im really interested in buying one .. but iam looking at others like the raymarine dragonfly and lowrance products .. at the mo the Furuno interests me the most but most people local to me have lowrance so until your screen shots I have not seen one in action
I think it is excellent value for money, I drilled the hull and used a flush fitting Airmar transducer which gives a very good signal.

Not too bothered about sidescan and all that fancy stuff, the Furuno does just what I need, has a clear to read screen and complements the SH plotter very nicely.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if its the same model Furuno as a mate of mines but it certainly looks the same. He loves it and those fish images seem very accurate in determining the fish size too, his has a really good feature for telling what sort of bottom he's fishing on. I dont think we can go to far wrong with most models these days though raymarine didn't work well on our rescue boat but that could of been due to setup and the fact the boat was a 30ft cat. Personally I look for as much resolution in the down scan as possible for more detail.

Welsh warrior, thats some serious bit of kit there. The side scan is a fantastic add on as is point 1, which is probably the best thing Ive added for pinpointing fish and structure. I can hold my boat over the top of a small rock in 500m of water with the engine, no matter which way the boat is facing or being turned in the wind, I can then drop a rig straight on the mark. As you probably know when you stop the boat or anchor and the boat swings a little you can never be sure exactly where the structure is but with point 1 you will see exactly where it is. Its a must for serious wreck fishermen.
JonD

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sidescan also works in deep water when chasing game fish like tuna etc. You can set up a scan of say 40- 50m each side of the boat so if you pass a mackerel bait school or tuna you will pick them up. Its also very good for recovery work in shallow water for sunken boats or bodies etc. Personally I think sidescan is the biggest break through in sounder technology since sonar was invented. You can even record all your soundings and create your very own bathymetric maps using insight to install them onto your own unique charts.
JonD

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Image of a wreck from my old lowrance gear.
IMG_3927.jpg
image of a wreck using sidescan on my new lowrance
IMG_5803.jpg
same wreck created as a chart using insight genesis
IMG_5804.jpg
current set-up
IMG_6012.jpg

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Image of a wreck from my old lowrance gear.
View attachment 200114
image of a wreck using sidescan on my new lowrance
View attachment 200115
same wreck created as a chart using insight genesis
View attachment 200116
current set-up
View attachment 200117
OMG!!! Thank goodness a certain person who hated Lowrance has left the building, he'd have had a frothy looking at your pictures old bean! ;) ;)

Some interesting images, do you find the extra info increases your catches? Serious question as I'm interested to hear what people who have got to grips with these systems really think having had time to use them.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
OMG!!! Thank goodness a certain person who hated Lowrance has left the building, he'd have had a frothy looking at your pictures old bean! ;) ;) Some interesting images, do you find the extra info increases your catches? Serious question as I'm interested to hear what people who have got to grips with these systems really think having had time to use them.
Not sure if it has yet, but it will. Insight genesis is very good. I have one foot contour maps of a lot of wrecks and create new ones every trip. Perfect maps for drifting and knowing exactly where you are on the wreck. I have also started mapping reefs and banks and have discovered a few new areas just from the mapping the software produces.
Side scan often helps to find the difficult to find new wrecks. A view of up to 400 ft to the side of the boat can be very useful.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The more you know how to control the gear the better chance at finding deep wrecks. If you were in 60-80m with the sidescan on auto it would show such a wide scans I doubt you could make the wreck out that well but if you knew the position of the wreck and used just one side of the scan zoomed as you passed the wreck position in you should be able to get a pretty good image of the wreck. We dont have many wrecks out here but I will do a test on one we have in 120m and see what I can get, normally in deep water I just use mine for finding bait or tuna.

Hoges thats the cleanest dash Ive ever seen, do you put the insight mapping onto you navico charts or can they be saved to blank cards and viewed with the main charts at the same time. Were you aware you have the gps info showing for the wreck (maybe its not a good wreck), looks like somewhere around Eastbourne.

My lowrance units certainly help me find fish, not to say that other models wouldn't do the same. Simrad (all part of the lowrance group) seem to be very highly regarded out here for the more serious game fishermen.
JonD

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hoges thats the cleanest dash Ive ever seen, do you put the insight mapping onto you navico charts or can they be saved to blank cards and viewed with the main charts at the same time. Were you aware you have the gps info showing for the wreck (maybe its not a good wreck), looks like somewhere around Eastbourne.

JonD
New dash Jon, so clean at the moment lol
There are two lowrance vhf fitted too and another HDS7 at the fishing end for viewing sonar on the drift. I need a huge box just to store the covers ;)

Insight maps are put onto a card which is in the second slot on the plotter. You can toggle between navionics and insight maps at the press of a button. I use navionics until i reach the wreck/reef/rock/bank ect and then switch to insight.

for example….
Navionics view of reef
Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 09.14.29.jpg
converted sonar file from insight
Screen Shot 2013-12-12 at 09.32.16.jpg
view of reef on HDS9 using insight generated mapping
Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 08.13.31.jpg

Don't worry about the numbers, we have hundreds of wrecks and this is a very well known charted wreck and is the reef above

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that, do you know if you can split the screen so one side displays navionics while the other shows insight.
Cheers JonD

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Thanks for that, do you know if you can split the screen so one side displays navionics while the other shows insight.
Cheers JonD
I dont think you can, but why would you want to?
once you get to your mark, you switch to the detail of insight. Navionics shows zero detail at the scale you are using for drifting/anchoring. Navionics for macro navigation and insight for micro navigation. All marks, routes etc are overlaid on both.

i will take some screen shots of the system in operation next time i am out.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again, I think we get a little deeper due to cleaner water. I also have mine fitted under the boat rather than use the bracket supplied. I think its time for me to add the insight especially for inshore dive sites from 10-35m.
JonD

1 - 20 of 30 Posts