World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Rectangle Glass Box Handwriting

Hi,

I picked up a lot of an South African gear, one of those lucky finds, whole setup for peanuts.
It is full of weird and wonderful stuff, and a lot of good gear.
Found whole bunch if rigs. Don’t have an opinion as how useful they may be in UK conditions, but seems like some thought has gone in them and they certainly catch some impressive fish over there. Here are few photos, would love to know what you lot of experts think of them. Perhaps you find them as interesting as I do. Do you see any use in UK for such rigs?
These buoyant / cork ones seems the most intriguing. Anything that keeps bait away from crabs can’t be that bad. Also, bigger ones have rigid wire keeping hook pointing up I guess, this I didn’t expect, but can see some logic behind…
I imagine that presentation and movement will be very different.

Automotive design Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Slope Material property Geological phenomenon Automotive tire Event
Eyelash Font Art Transparent material Ceiling

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
The 'Shad/Elf' rigs with the full red cork are aimed at Bluefish - the wire is because they have amazingly sharp teeth - snip through nylon like spaghetti. The cork is to lift the whole bait up off the bottom, and allow the wave action to generate movement for these highly predatory fish in very clean and clear waters.

The 'Stone Bream' rigs with the smaller cork are much the same but without the need for wire, but an effort to get the baot and particularly the hook above the level of the kelp, as these fish are only found over kelpy reefs, so a vain attempt to cut down tackle losses.

The manufacturer of this rigs is aiming more at those that might buy their fishing tackle in a supermarket or petrol station.

Hope that gives an insight.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
My dad did to use alot of corks into the same way when fishing in southend off of the peir. Crab and snag central though and did to never use them onto the boat. Cannot to say if it did improve his catch rate into comparison. We did not go hungry as kids with fish but the thames did to be teeming with life back into the 80s and very early 90s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts