World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a suggestion by Paul (Puddleman).....and is one which I think has some mileage. I know there is a stickied 'sea safety' thread on General, but a local one, may just save someone from doing something that causes them harm (whether minor or more serious).

So......let's give it a go. Please keep it on topic, but feel free to include any aspects of safety advice; for example.....dangerous beaches, dangerous practices, advice on avoiding injury (or worse); general health and safety, fish that are difficult/dangerous to handle......there is a multitude of advice out there.

Don't forget too, there are novices on the site.....ANY safety advice is good advice.

I will start with a bit of a humerous one (but by no means unimportant, as my doctor will tell you!!). When attaching a small fish to a treble/large hook, in order to send it out as livebait; be careful that said fishy doesn't suss what you are doing and reverse the roles by flipping itself over, consequently embedding a barbed hook in your finger/thumb!! :cry:

I will stick the thread in a day or so if it proves a good one and stays on topic.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Don't turn your back on the water at chesil.
Freak waves happen everywhere but chesil has a tendency to dump one on top of you.
Don't take the risk of getting 10yds closer for the sake of the cast, chesil is a dangerous beach if you don't pay attention to your surroundings.
It is a beach where the waves 'dump' and the current is very strong, I personally would not recommend swimming here either.
Obviously the water changes from day to day and it has its calm days, but when its rough, please do not turn away from the water.
Abbotsbury, West Bexington in places has a phone reception for 3, O2 mobiles that I personally know of.
Safe fishing to all.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I know most of us use shock leader...However for those of you who don't this is a polite and safe reminder :thumbs:...That lead can act like a bullet on crack off...:(.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Keep some distance between each other on the beach.
If your arriving on the beach or where ever to fish and its busy, think before setting up and keep a safe distance between yourself and others.
This from experience on chesil especially this time of year with the mackeral about.
Crossed lines doesn't make friends with the angler next to you if you've just turned up and cast straight over them.
From the safety point of view, keep the distance when casting the lead.

G

·
hi all,
one of the most important things to remember is to ware the
correct clothing for the conditions and what is forcast!!
eg,warm clothing and plenty of layers in cold weather.
waterproofs in wet weather.
sun cream in hot conditions,regardless of it being sunny or not!
good boots with good grip if rock fishing.
a hat should be part of your fishing tackle.
i am sure that there are many other things,so it would be good to hear
some advise from all you anglers...

all the best and safe angling puddle man....:thumbs:

G

·
how about being aware of whats going on around you when casting!
seen some nasty things down the arm when people are not watching
behind them when casting at mackie shoals!!!!
a set of feathers up the side of a 8yr old boy's face...not nice...
keep them coming lads and lasses!!!

G

·
someone has already talked about shock leader being used!
but we also need to make sure that we use the correct size shock
leader for the size lead/bait being used...
a good guide that i was told about is simple...
4oz lead = 40lb leader

5oz lead = 50lb leader

6oz lead = 60lb leader and so on....

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
someone has already talked about shock leader being used!
but we also need to make sure that we use the correct size shock
leader for the size lead/bait being used...
a good guide that i was told about is simple...
4oz lead = 40lb leader

5oz lead = 50lb leader

6oz lead = 60lb leader and so on....
A good all-rounder would be a tapered leader that goes from 15lb that is linked to the main line giving you a nice small linking knot and it goes up to 60lb where the terminal rig is attached, these tapered leaders are generally 15 yards in length.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
how about being aware of whats going on around you when casting!
seen some nasty things down the arm when people are not watching
behind them when casting at mackie shoals!!!!
a set of feathers up the side of a 8yr old boy's face...not nice...
keep them coming lads and lasses!!!
I know what you mean P/Man.. Good point...I carry some pliers a small First Aid Kit and a bottle of Dettol in the box just in case...Pliers to cut off the protruding hook barb if it is visible enabling the hook to be removed as long as removal of the hook is safe though...Dettol for the obvious cleansing of any wound no matter how much of a salty sea dog one may be.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
When fishing alone always tell somebody where you intend to fish. Carry a mobile at all times and ensure that you fully charge it before you go fishing, a flat mobile is no good to anyone.

Reactions: Lloyd Hill
G

·
When fishing alone always tell somebody where you intend to fish. Carry a mobile at all times and ensure that you fully charge it before you go fishing, a flat mobile is no good to anyone.
i think most things have been covered now!
just one thing how about just looking out for each other....

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think most things have been covered now!
just one thing how about just looking out for each other....
I am sure there are a multitude of things that haven't been covered yet Paul; I can certainly think of several. I hardly have time to scratch myself this week, but will add my thoughts when I have a moment.

I will stick the thread....at the end of the day, if a thread like this saves ONE person from even the smallest injury, it will have been worthwhile.

COME ON guys. Contribute to this one please.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Obvious one but easierly forgotten .... be aware of overhead cables and keep your rods well away from them.

I doubt theres many areas on the beach with live cables above them but you might set up elsewhere and walk down to your spot.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
This one might seem obvious but,
If you've done an all nighter session, don't risk driving your car home when your tired, accidents do happen. Even if you grab 5 minutes sleep its better than nothing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
1. i always leave a spare set of clothes and a drink in the motor when night fishing getting drenched and than having nothing to change into is not good!!!!!

2. spare batteries!!!!!

3. remember at night most arms, peirs jetties have gaps in the railings all the way around especially where there are ladders easy to do a del boy at the bar in the dark!!!! trust me i nearly went in front of the newhaven ferry once!

4. at night fish with a mate!!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
1. When making rigs, try not to cover the whole lounge floor in bits, you never know when a co-habiter might walk in and either step on a hook or give you a smack accross the chops for making the place a mess. :boxing:

2. Take notice of signs. Peirs can be slippery when wet, so take heed of signs that say 'No Fishing'. Occasionaly they are there for your own good. :busted_co

3. Watch out for dogs, they can eat your bait, get a hook in their paw, pee on your rod, or all of the above. Same goes for pedestrians. :ph34r:

4. Wear apropriate clothes and take spares. (Think this has been mentioned, but I've been caught out before too many times getting soaked, frozen or both, so worth mentioning again. Equally as valid when its unexpectedly sunny - sun cream an essential). :cold:

5. Curiosity killed the cat - learn as a minimum how to I.D a weaver fish. I saw two guys playing with one in Brixham a few years ago - how they managed to avoid being stung is still a mystery to me. (I did of course tell them what it was when I saw, and they politely thanked me)

I also had a few abbrasions once from a Lesser Spotted Dogfish when handled bare handed. Tough skins on these fish, and when they thrash about whilst your holding them incorrectly it hurts, especially with wet hands on a cold day. Either put gloves on or get a good grip.:black_eye

I've also heard of rays sticking their stinging tails straight through footware into the owners foot - not seen it happen, or been the recipient, but that's got to hurt!

Hope this helps, I've been a little light hearted, but there is a serious message in each of my points. Safety is very important part of our sport and its up to each of us to act responsibly for both our own, and others around us safety.

Regards
Richard

G

·
how about taking your rubbish home with you!!!
plastic bags,old fishing line,hooks....all these things can be a health
and safety issue to wild life as well as us!!!!!:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts