World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
After hearing of a few showing locally, decided to get out and have a crack at them. Bait was Ragworm. Now I know how highly crab is rated, but Rag catches its fair share - when the hounds are in and feeding, crab activity is non existant and the worms will sort out the fish.

First one up was a six pounder, followed by one of just over seven -

Then a couple of micro bream, followed by a 2 hr spell of nothing but stripped hooks - obviously the hounds had moved on.

Baiting up for a final cast, and the tide dropping well away, decided on a max range effort to see if there was anything doing. Just sorting out the box - giving it a quick tidy up, and away went the tip - another six -

Back out to max range in case they were coming back through, and again the tip goes over - this time a 1 1/2 Bass. Last cast saw the final fish, another just over seven and a nice end to the session -

Looks like a good year so far. All fish returned - fantastic sport as usual. Dropper rig and 2/0 hook did the business.

Tight lines,
Mart.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Looks like you had a great session with some nice fish.
All the best..

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi mate, nice fish there! where abouts were you fishing to?

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
Nice to see a few Hounds reported :thumbs: you'd never guess looking at the forums that the Hound marks are full of people nearly every single day!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks PP,
Was wondering myself why there hadn't been many posting. To be honest, my report was very sketchy, due to the venue - I wondered whether to bother putting it in as I knew I wanted to be vague about the location.

Around my part there are several spots, that along with being small (cant fit too many peeps in), are also private - one of which even requires a license, and are already over subscribed some nights.

Before anyone jumps in with magna carta and fishing license nonsense, the venue is free to fish if you have a boat, but not if you are walking through private land to get to it :nono:

Basically, if you had a house and garden that backed onto a beach, you wouldn't expect people to turn up, park in your drive, and walk through your garden to fish there....:sad2:

there are plenty of ignorant people out there though that are happy to do so :thumbdown

Anyhow, the report went in - I still like to read other peoples reports and look at any fishes. Still looking for the elusive double though :sad:

Tight lines,
Mart.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow that's a good amount of nice fish there well done.:thumbs:

·
Registered
21,552 Posts
Thanks PP,
Was wondering myself why there hadn't been many posting. To be honest, my report was very sketchy, due to the venue - I wondered whether to bother putting it in as I knew I wanted to be vague about the location.

Around my part there are several spots, that along with being small (cant fit too many peeps in), are also private - one of which even requires a license, and are already over subscribed some nights.

Before anyone jumps in with magna carta and fishing license nonsense, the venue is free to fish if you have a boat, but not if you are walking through private land to get to it :nono:

Basically, if you had a house and garden that backed onto a beach, you wouldn't expect people to turn up, park in your drive, and walk through your garden to fish there....:sad2:

there are plenty of ignorant people out there though that are happy to do so :thumbdown

Anyhow, the report went in - I still like to read other peoples reports and look at any fishes. Still looking for the elusive double though :sad:

Tight lines,
Mart.
:fishing: Sounds a bit like Park Shore! :fishing:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well done mate, sounds exactly like the kind of session I have tried to for a few times, but with not much success yet.
Fair play for not giving away your mark, I would do the same:fishing:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Late report.

Fished the Sunday night, hoping for the double figure hound. Everyone seems to be hauling them in currently, but I'm very much a beginner - most of my fishing is done in the colder months...

Was fishing by about 2 hrs before top of tide, and within the hour, a six to seven pounder had been landed after a tentative bite. After striking, it had come almost half way in, before a few decent lunges had confirmed it was a fish rather than a lump of weed.

My fishing partner then managed five hounds while my rod sat motionless -all peas in a pod, between six and seven puonds.

It was now past high, and the tide and weed had picked up again. We shortened our casts and I was perhaps 30 yrds out. As I sat on my box, the tip finally regestered some interest. I had picked up a few small bass since fishing at this range, so wasn't entirely sure that this was a hound. The tip tremmered away for some time, until I decided to pick up the butt, still resting the rod on the rest, and give it a foot or so of slack. After what seemed an eternity, the tip pulled round and I lifted into it. The tip immediately hammered over and the fish was on, taking a fair amount of line on several occasions.

This felt like a better fish, and sure enough, once it come into the edge and our headlights picked it out, thoughts of that double being attained started to creep into my head.

Not quite though - came in at 9-11.

There's always next time though, and don't these hounds pull a bit ....:clap:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had a go last night off Tanners lane in a dinghy, about 400m out, first 2 hours of the flood from 7.30 to 9.30. Hoping for bass, ray or bream I tried a 1 up 1 down rig with a small top hook and a 2/0 with squid head at the bottom. Weed was terrible from the outset, reeling in pounds of it after 5 minutes in the water. Anyway, got two hounds about 8lbs and 6lbs, both on squid head, and that was it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts