World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a great holiday last year the Mrs. (report here) we went back to the same part of Indonesia this year;
it's a lovely and remote part of the world and by some 'freak stroke of luck' it has good fishing.

Video

We stayed in at the Serai Inar on an Landu island, just off Rote island for the first 5 days. The island has no roads and beside the place we stayed there are only 2 small local villages with approx 80 inhabitants each, one of which has a freshwater well.

Unfortunately I lost mt brand new GoPro inc. quite a bit of footage.

Fishing was DIY and mostly by boat with our host, looking for drop-offs via Navionics on my phone as we had no fish-finder. We caught fish trolling and jigging with a nice GT on the jig as main prize. As there are Dogtooth tuna in that area these were high on my list, but I only managed a miniature puppy.
There was a beach on the Island that looked very promising but on our walk there I didn't take my rod...

Pick-up from Rote mainland and transfer to Serai Inar

GT

Little Spanish

Grill Prep

The Mrs. with a GT we took because it didn't release due to barotrauma. Not especially nice grilled but the ceviche was very good.

After Serai Inar we went to Boa Vida Rote where we stayed last as well. Some nice shore fishing there though I didn't get any land based GTs like last year. Fortunately the bluefin trevallies were around and offered good sport on light gear. On low tide you could walk to the reef where mackerel-sized tuna chased baitfish almost non-stop with flocks of birds showing you the spot. Casting small metals was rewarded with several bluefin trevallies but I don't have much footage. I guess larger lures and a heavier rod might also get you GTs as they in turn feed on these mackerel-tuna.

2nd last day we went out with Nembralanow, the only fishing charter on Rote, for some jigging and hope of big dogtooth tuna; footage in video. Great trip with non-stop action. Special shout-out to Coque (our guide) who helped my girlfriend and the other novice angler non-stop.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Nice Chris…….. Keeps me alive dreaming of places like that. Downside is, I have 13months to keep dreaming !

Have you got a more side on picture of the bottom left greeny coloured long snouted fish below the two doggies ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice Chris…….. Keeps me alive dreaming of places like that. Downside is, I have 13months to keep dreaming !

Have you got a more side on picture of the bottom left greeny coloured long snouted fish below the two doggies ?
Hehe, dreaming is good. We released loads that day; it was the best day in ages for the charter and we had non-stop action for the 3-4 hours we fished. That little AJ had been attacked by a doggie on the way up. Huge messy rip along its flank rather than a clean shark bite.

That fish is some sort of Emperor (spangled?). It is in the video around 12:38.
We noticed it still had half a sardine in its mouth when we got back.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Awesome video Chris, definitely food for thought putting that place on my bucket list.
The GT is one fish I really want to catch too, & the one in the video looks very impressive.
I had a chuckle when I saw the x ray, showing how the lures were wired tho, lol.
U looked to have had an amazing trip tho & it was good to c your missus getting stuck into the fish herself, fair play to her.
Thanks for making the time to post your adventure, it's inspiring.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Great report and pics

Reactions: Chris Crat

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hehe, dreaming is good. We released loads that day; it was the best day in ages for the charter and we had non-stop action for the 3-4 hours we fished. That little AJ had been attacked by a doggie on the way up. Huge messy rip along its flank rather than a clean shark bite.

That fish is some sort of Emperor (spangled?). It is in the video around 12:38.
We noticed it still had half a sardine in its mouth when we got back.
I think thats a Long Nose Emporer

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thats not bad tbh. Though the whole object of our trip was to have an holiday & purely fish the shore. See how long that plan lasts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts