Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had fun today!

Got there about 11, 2 rods. bait was as follows

Lug, Rag, Squid and herring

Total Landed fish - 1

Lost fish - 3

Had one codling, about a pound that managed to get up.

The weed was a ****ing nightmare and in the end went down to one rod with big hooks and big baits...
Lost 2 thornbacks, one up in the water and one about 2 foot away, both around the 4 - 6lb mark i would assume and both had about 3 hours from low water,

Lost them on Factory shop size 2's.... they bend rather easyily as i found out today!!

never mind, all in all a nice day if not rather windy, pics will follow when i get to work and pull them off my camera...

Nice to see the rays are up the river tho, even if i cant catch one....

You should see my last cast, easily weighed over 7oz as the pulley rig was favouring in the bait direction...

60 lug, 4 rag, 4 squid and half a size of herring on 6/0 pennel...... caught a crab!!

All in all a good day tho and didnt blank!:clap2:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Any fires mate, you would have love all the driftwood at Felixstowe, half tree size logs

G

·
You should've come to Felixstowe fella, I came away with more gear than I took, and a reasonable codling, and there was, as Issy said, a load of firewood on the beach, I reckon you would've had a good time, there was even a tug with firefighting capabilities on standby, :boat:

Apparently it's skipper had heard you might be putting in an appearance today :)

Ubd

·
Registered
259 Posts
You should've come to Felixstowe fella, I came away with more gear than I took, and a reasonable codling, and there was, as Issy said, a load of firewood on the beach, I reckon you would've had a good time, there was even a tug with firefighting capabilities on standby, :boat:

Apparently it's skipper had heard you might be putting in an appearance today :)

Ubd
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Good to hear Thornback reports coming in. I read a lot of a lost fish reports though - not teaching you all how to suck eggs but you need to fish specifically for Thornbacks and gear up for them, 20lb straight through, 30lb hook length and good strong hooks. Thing with the Crouch is it does run fast and those Thornies can get in that run and be bastards to land.

Fish a seperate scratching rod for the other odds and sods. Any reports of good Bass, they should be there now??

Saw a couple of Thornback (4 or 5 lb) caught of Bamburgers last week, all on Herring. Another money saver and bait stock tip is buy a string of Herring feathers and use them off Bamburgers, youll easy bag 50. Use em fresh of there and they cant be beat.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to hear Thornback reports coming in. I read a lot of a lost fish reports though - not teaching you all how to suck eggs but you need to fish specifically for Thornbacks and gear up for them, 20lb straight through, 30lb hook length and good strong hooks. Thing with the Crouch is it does run fast and those Thornies can get in that run and be bastards to land.

Fish a seperate scratching rod for the other odds and sods. Any reports of good Bass, they should be there now??

Saw a couple of Thornback (4 or 5 lb) caught of Bamburgers last week, all on Herring. Another money saver and bait stock tip is buy a string of Herring feathers and use them off Bamburgers, youll easy bag 50. Use em fresh of there and they cant be beat.

i keep being told you cant get on that now mate.... obvioulsy you can...

should have gone there!

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
I have always been told that Fambridge is better than Banburgers for skate fishing. Well done on the codling and unlucky for losing the skate.
Might pop down there myself some time after the Essex kent rematch.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi

Yea, your not supposed to fish it but.................

Only fish it a weekends or late night week days after they have finished unloading. The security guy is as good as gold. You can buy his blind eye with a couple of fish for his dinner!

·
Registered
630 Posts
good to know thornbacks are as far in as fambridge.

How far to the right is the saltings.

I beleive it was your advice I got in Petes Tackle on Saturday those tiny hooks sure helped off the pier. Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good to know thornbacks are as far in as fambridge.

How far to the right is the saltings.

I beleive it was your advice I got in Petes Tackle on Saturday those tiny hooks sure helped off the pier. Thanks
Told ya so ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts