World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a session off 44 on sunday, 06.30 till 14.00, weather was loads better than predicted but fishing was generally slow. Scaled down to size 1 to keep the flatties interested as that was all I was landing although a there was a few decent coalies off the end and the odd very small codling. Managed nine flatties all day dabs, flounder and 3 small, skinny plaice. Baits used lug, rag, mussel, crab, squid and mackeral.
Just starting to get to grips with that k2 rod now although one guy on sunday, who seemed to know his onions, told me that they snap for fun, something about the spiggot being too weak ! .I would be very interested to here from anyone else that has suffered from their k2 breaking, ideally I would like to hear the views of a shakespeare rep if there is one that reads this forum.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so Paul, got me a little bit worried, sure everything will be fine for now as I dont really put the thing under a lot of pressure but as I get more comfortable with it, it will have to take a bit more punishment. You might know the guy, mid 50's greying beard and wears a red fishing smock adorned with sewn on patches, I said red but its well washed and nearly pink ! He was a decent bloke, name dropped a few big casters and rod builders and said he was given a k2 among other rods to appraise, I watched him cast an 18ft continental rod, he was not a bullshi**er !
Anyway, hope the old aztec two step has cleared up.
Pete.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hiya there BIGPETE,

Seems as if you might of had A tan?

Do you know how far off the macky are i was told avout 6-7 miles dunno bout that but just wondering how everything is in the fishing world,

I am due to take my exams for the next 4 weeks so should only be able to get out every so often. But when i do hehe it'll be good^^

Andrew.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hiya there BIGPETE,

Seems as if you might of had A tan?

Do you know how far off the macky are i was told avout 6-7 miles dunno bout that but just wondering how everything is in the fishing world,

I am due to take my exams for the next 4 weeks so should only be able to get out every so often. But when i do hehe it'll be good^^

Andrew.
I have my gcses in the next few weeks, and ive got a feeling the mackeral will come in as soon as me exams start, so then i wont be able to go and fish, lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello lads,
reckon you will have a couple of weeks yet before we see the mackeral, and probably a bit longer than that before they are in any great numbers. The boats are reporting a few, anywhere from 200yds to 18 miles ! but while the water is still coloured the way it is they wont be very numerous.When the water clears and the bait fish can be seen they will be on em ! Watch the sea birds when ever you are near the sea, they dont take long to find the bait fish. They are a good indicator.
Good luck in your exams lads, school first, good results,good job,more money,better fishing tackle !

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Was thinking about taking me floats down to Hartlepool tomorrow and giving it another whirl.
Love to be the first on this forum to catch one off the pier.

Mick.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
im taking my exams in the next few weeks too,i hope i pass.lesser spotted coalies,flounder,plaice and the odd codling,wish me luck ,long week ahead

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck Mick,
Make sure you get a pic if you do hook one. I love the summer fishing but when the mackeral first show its time to break out the body armour if you're fishing off any pier or harbour wall. Whitby pier used to be the worst, I have seen inquisitive day trippers with lures stuck in there faces. mad mackie bashers, stood shoulder to shoulder jockeying for a spot giving it rock all ! it makes me cringe but hey, its bloody good fun.
Coddy never know when to take you seriously but good luck in your exams !!!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Was thinking about taking me floats down to Hartlepool tomorrow and giving it another whirl.
Love to be the first on this forum to catch one off the pier.

Mick.
the water off hartlepool is well coloured:uhuh: its going to be at leat a month before they show.

the big push of fish will come on the big tides. after this week thats going to be another fortnight away at best. then you need a long period of settled weather, thats winds off the land for the sea to clear.

the fish are well off where the water doesnt get dirty. thats where they will stay until conditions are perfect.

sorry.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mick, thats pretty sound advice from Bill. Nowt to say you wont get a few coalies though and one thing is for sure, so long as you have a go you never know what you might hook !!
Tight lines.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
hartlepool doesnt get coalies the same as roker or sheilds. we get a few during summer in clear water off the rock edges or down the side of the heugh.

there is very little chance of getting them on spinners or lures even when they are in.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mick was talking about float fishing Bill, species aside, once the water clears he should have some good sport if he fishes light. A thin strip of float fished mackie, a sprat or even a single rag will tempt all sorts. Point taken about about Hartlepool and the species caught there, dont know the venue but sure Mick will enjoy it if he varies the depth, ONCE THE WATER CLEARS.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well done Bigpete, good to hear someone had better luck than i did on the sat :)
Thanks for that Walshy69,
Just about getting the hang of it on the pier, never seem to blank (touch wood) If it is quiet dont hesitate in dropping down a hook size or two, leave the 2/0 and 1/0 and use size 1 or 2 with mackie tipped worm on longish traces. At least you then have a better chance of converting those bites from the tiddlers!. Not being a specimen hunter, owts better than nowt in my book!
With regards to the inside out rag worm, it is probably a combination of blunt hooks and poor quality worm, you can end up catching the mandibles of the worm and trying to force them down its own throat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts