World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had my first visit to south Wales earlier in the year, which proved successful:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/foru...ea-worth-bringing-a-rod.4501943/#post-9069552

I was thinking of coming for a proper holiday this time. I will have the missus with me and would like some advice on a good place to stay. Last time I drove out into the Gower, it was very picturesque, but there didn't seem a whole lot to do in terms of pubs/restaurants etc. I am not looking for downtown swansea, but a choice of places to eat and some shops etc to entertain the missus would be good. If I am going to abandon her to go fishing I need to provide entertainment.

Normally we visit Cornwall, places like Padstow/St Mawes etc.

I was looking on a map and saw Tenby, Fishguard, Solva. Are these worth a go, or is there anywhere else people can recommend. Looking on google maps I think fishing should be decent wherever I go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
I had my first visit to south Wales earlier in the year, which proved successful:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/foru...ea-worth-bringing-a-rod.4501943/#post-9069552

I was thinking of coming for a proper holiday this time. I will have the missus with me and would like some advice on a good place to stay. Last time I drove out into the Gower, it was very picturesque, but there didn't seem a whole lot to do in terms of pubs/restaurants etc. I am not looking for downtown swansea, but a choice of places to eat and some shops etc to entertain the missus would be good. If I am going to abandon her to go fishing I need to provide entertainment.

Normally we visit Cornwall, places like Padstow/St Mawes etc.

I was looking on a map and saw Tenby, Fishguard, Solva. Are these worth a go, or is there anywhere else people can recommend. Looking on google maps I think fishing should be decent wherever I go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
How about St David's? Some great fishing round there for bass, conger, Huss, wrasse, pollock..

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
My view of South Wales is quite different , as I used to live in Peterborough & work in Leicester most weeks .

Wife friendly Wales , good food & interesting pubs appears to have ended just as you cross the Severn bridges;)

I'd say your lass will need the car most days .
Good fishing venues that produce most of the time are few & far between , getting on a charter is often the only way to get amongst the fish of any size or quantity ,

Most times there is sod all interesting close by to any single fishing venue that would take your wifes time & interest for a couple of days unless she is into museums ( indoor & out doors ) Bingo halls , & churches .. There are zillions of these god bothering buildings in most localities, most are locked & barred much of the time.

Most of the historic castles are in grand ruins , because the locals stole the stone to make their own homes :D. Cardiff castle can be used to while a way a few hours as can Caernaerfon ( sp) , Carew & Kidwelly if the weather is bad .

Swansea museum by the marina is fair & best of all there is one of the few decent eating establishments in Wales close by in the Grape & Olive at the top of a tower block ( best to book seats ) just don't expect chip shop prices ;)
Kidwelly has a castlle ruin & a tin plate semi open air museum & little else .

Don't be fooled by the masses of brown places of interest signs that abound .Most appear to say follow this sign and hand over your wallet when you get here. :eek:

There is nothing like the city centre shopping of Leicester . Just several poor or tatty relations and the common national brands . There are a lot of newish retail parks housing the usual national brands who populate them up & down the UK.

Towards Pembroke there is the blue water indoor lido swimming pool , good for four to five hours maximum unless you can borrow half a dozen kids that can swim , There is kiddies fun park called OAKWOOD close by that's the most miserable place on earth if as usual it rains side ways.
Tenby is good for an hour or so of walking round as the old walled town is just about 1/2 a mile across . Some places even have multi screen cinemas:rolleyes:.
At Tenby watch out for the big soft sand bank to the West of the walled town in front of a council type car ark .... it usually collapses as the tide come in and can be fatal to the unwary .

One place that might interest both of you are the national show caves of wales if your into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think Tenby, Saundersfoot area would interest you with fishing in the area. Other places to visit nearby such as Narbeth, also shopping in Haverfordwest. Also places such as Bluestone for places to stay, close to fishing Manorbier, Stackpole, Barrafundle bay (beautiful beach).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Definitely tenby m8 I have had some great sessions with my bro up there. If you fish tenby harbour on low water collect cockles out of harbour and use them as bait. Absolutely deadly m8 when free lined. Bass a cast but it was 2 years ago. tight lines

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would agree with nathfisher, mumbles is a great place or Langland bay, there are some apartments you can rent opposite the bay. Cafe-bar across the road on the beach. Short walk to mumbles or a cab or bus into swansea if you want some adventure.
Fishing from beach, rock edges swansea pier, knab, swansea beach, marina and pier, should keep you going.
Bait and tackle from mumbles pier or the marina or dig it yourself.
Some nice walks around the coastline broken up by some small cafes, if your feeling active.
Shopping in swansea not brilliant but cardiff is only an hour away on the train for more wallet emptying fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.