World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well me and the viking decided on a last minute trip to the rhinnes of galloway left at 5am for a nice leisurly drive up there got fishing at one of our chossen marks at about 9am very nice day flat calm not a cloud in the sky BUT the water was very murky were wernt happy chaps so we thought we will stick it out til it ebbs and see if it clears but sadly it didnt i bottom fished resulting in a doggie dave managed a small pollock after couple of hours decided to head towards the mull of galloway stopped off at the bait shop at ardwell got some good advice of the guy in the tackle shop and off we went to another mark bit of a mission to get to but once there water looked good crystal clear dave got a coalie more a less first chuck but fishing was slow again dave manged a couple of small pollock and a wrasse and lost a biggish pollock as it came out the water i got 7 seven pollock being the biggest of the day at 2lb 4oz not one of our better days but thats fishing im sure we will be back again soon.

HERE IS SOME PICS OF THE DAY

MONEYHEAD IN THE DISTANCE A MARK ME AND DAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY AND WILL ONE DAY BUT A BIG HIKE TO IT

DAVE ENJOYING THE DAY

DOGGY FOR ME FROM THE FIRST MARK WE TRIED

BIGGEST POLLOCK OF THE DAY

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Good report guys :) enjoyment is what it is all about. Got a static van on the Clash site in Drummore and I am over tomorrow.Will be having a bit fish at some stage(got to appease her indoors cos still got a full fishing week to come)

Will post up a report if anything happens on the fishing front :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Nice report mate , nice fish too . A few more would have been nice... Venue looks great ... Well done lads.. Chris

·
Registered
176 Posts
well done paul, you certainly get about mate, great report though dave.

·
Registered
84 Posts
im in love with that place. gonna head up again august bank holiday weekend... might fish the foghorn then. couldnt get to any of the tricky marks, i broke a few bones in my foot a week before hehehe

good report

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good report there fellas,
weather good, scenery good and you didn't blank, well worth the 5.00am start I'd say.
well done.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Mull of Galloway is a special place to me. When I was 8yrs old I went out mackerel bashing in a small zodiac with the 6ft Whinfield rod set that my dad had bought me from Woolys for Xmas, caught no mackerel but managed my first ever fish, a 6lb cod, caught the fishing bug and 30 yrs later aint lost it. Not a bad result for my first ever fishing experience.

My folks used to take us on summer holidays up there......like 7 years on the trot! lol

We always stayed on the same caravan site at New England bay and my memories of that place are fond ones. Anyway me dad was up there last week and he's said if I want to relive my youth i can lend his caravan for a week, he'll tow it up so I can tow my zodiac up on my car! Wahey.

I know its a long time ago and stuff will have changed massively but I cannot wait to get the line in the water up there. I recall guys catching masses of tope from not to far offshore, i guess those days will have gone by now.

Summer of 1976 we spent 3 weeks there. I had got my first canoe and I can remeber the massive shoals of mullet just rolling on the surface. I was out in may canoe and they were just everywhere, bloody thousands of em!
Weather was amazing, incredibly hot and flat calm. Basking sharks were everywhere, my dad had a near miss with one that was about twice the length of his Topper dinghy! And i seem to recall a guy in a mirror dinghy got his boat walloped by the sharks tail.

My dad also took me over to Port Logan (i think), all i can remember was catching loads of small pollack near the lighthouse on the harbour wall.

Are the fishponds still there ? They used to have some monster cod that you could hand feed limpets to. My 8yr old son would love that, although the little blighter would probably want to catch it! He's been fising since he was 4 ! Dads influence me thinks.

Aye fond memories, looking forward to getting my family up there, hopefully the kids will get as much out of it as i did when i was young un.

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated ahead of my trip up there.
If the sea is flat the Zodiac Futura will be hitting the water, if not the beach rods will be coming out. Any marks between Ardwell and Drummore worth fishing ? I want to try and stay close to the site as its gonna be a family holiday.

Only down side is its a bloody long way from Doncaster, but as long as the weather is good it'll be worth it!

Cant wait !

Often wondered why my dad bought me a fishing rod, he'd never been fishing, and 30 yrs later, still hasnt been, although i have tried to drag him out a few times! Odd really, but hey it was the best present i ever got. Still have the rod, although its a foot shorter than it used to be! and in need of some new rings before I pass it on to my son.

Whoah, got all nostalgic there, sorry for rambling on lads ! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts