World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So next summer time be looking at getting our first boat. Quite a way off but interested to hear where people would choose to moor given a choice between these areas. Portsmouth/Southampton is a much closer drive but after a few years charter fishing out of both it seems pretty hit and miss. I've fished out of Poole on a couple of occasions and had good days the twice. Chesil beach seems to get an earlier run and better run of cod every year from what I read up and pages I follow ect. I'm leaning towards having our boat moored around weymouth/Portland.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use to live and fish out of Portsmouth and Langstone and moved to Portland 10 years ago. I have an Alaska 500 in Portland marina and in my opinion I have experienced the best fishing of my life! Portland harbour and inshore marks fish really well, and you have a choice of banks and wrecks within easy distance. Gone are the days when I use to charter out of Portsmouth using 1lb - 1.5lb of leadall day with no fish.

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
I live and fish out of southampton but, if I were to move I’d move to Poole . Southampton is great and I love it here but if you want to do more than in shire fishing it’s a 45 minute team to get around either east or west of the Isle of Wight. This does get expensive on fuel. Having said that, sort from tope and big conger , most things can be caught in the Solent. Sail boats can be a pain though but are just part of the territory !!

·
Registered
206 Posts
So next summer time be looking at getting our first boat. Quite a way off but interested to hear where people would choose to moor given a choice between these areas. Portsmouth/Southampton is a much closer drive but after a few years charter fishing out of both it seems pretty hit and miss. I've fished out of Poole on a couple of occasions and had good days the twice. Chesil beach seems to get an earlier run and better run of cod every year from what I read up and pages I follow ect. I'm leaning towards having our boat moored around weymouth/Portland.
Hi Aiden
If you keep your boat in weymouth/Portland you are more likly to catch Turbot and Brill as you have the Shambles bank (nearly 100 this year and i would think Wreckfisher has had more) it all depends on what you want to catch, dont bank on Cod they have been scarce this year out of Weymouth. How big is your boat?the Shambles is a place you need a reasonable size boat until you get to know the tides, and the effect it has on this Bank and around Portland Bill particularly if you wish to fish Chesel west side of the Bill.
PM me if you want Marina contact or more info Weymouth has very helpfull and freindly staff the same at Portland Marina.

Espadon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No boat as yet but looking to invest in something between 23-30ft purpose built fishing platform with cruising of around 14-18knots. We will have a budget of about 15k. About 6/9months away from purchasing. I'm really leaning towards weymouth/Portland. Seems the fishing in general is better then portsmouth/Southampton. It's an extra hours drive with clear roads though the boat will be set up for over night so we can come down Friday after traffic and sleep on the boat before setting out in the morning. Yeah I'll give you a message espandon in due course for contacts and general discussion any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I moved the boat to Portland Marina just over 5 years ago and the fishing has been very good (Thanks to Espadon showing me all his marks!). There is usually something to be caught throughout the year and the variety is excellent. There is shelter from most winds apart from those between East round to South - like today ESE16 to 20kts.

The marina has all the facilities required now that they have finished the dry stack and services to the boat park. There are multi year discounts offered on marina fees around the time of the boat show. However if you mention an existing berth owner as introducing you then you both receive a discount (hint;)) for that year.

If you want any more details then you are welcome to send a PM and if there is a boat meet next year then do sign up with or without the boat.
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts