World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend any areas around Southend or that end of the Essex coast that are worth a go. I have searhed this site and can only find mention of Canvey Island.

Cheers Andy.

B

·
0 Posts
Are you looking for beach or boat marks?

The best place for the kind of info' you're after is local tackle shops - try Bait - n Tackle or Southend Angling.

Braintree Sea Angling club have a website try them.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
Hi Andy,

All of the beaches along from Leigh on Sea to Shoeburyness are good for flounders, with a fair few eels amongst them. There are also a hell of a lot of school bass around on all of these beaches, but the beaches from Thorpe bay to Shoeburyness also throw up some better bass. Peeler crab is the A1 bait, but ragworm will catch if you can persevere the many bait robbing crabs. The bastion at Thorpe Bay throws up some dinner sized plaice as well at this time of year, as does the ray gut mark between the second and third shelters on Southend pier. The train station area/jolly fisherman pub area of Southend pier is good for garfish and mackerel in the next few weeks, with the eastern extension fishing for decent bass on pouting live baits dropped straight down on the inside (facing southend) but you will need a drop net to do this, and fifty pound line straight through because of the barnacles. If this kind of hook and hold fishing is not for you, then try the upper estuary marks like South Woodham Ferrers. Drive out to the Woodham Ferrers yacht club (By the council working farm) find some parking where you dont get locked in at six o clock!! walk to the sea wall, and turn left. Walk for about forty minutes and you come to the union of the crouch and a creek. This area can be fantastic bass fishing on light tackle. Many many schoolies but with the odd 3 to 5lb fish amongst them. Ragworm and crab again. Avoid these spots after heavy rain though. There are also stacks of mullet that will take bread if you persevere. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys.
The pier at Southend sounds favourite and looks to be fishing ok at the moment too. I was there with the kids on Saturday (not fishing) and watched someone fishing two rods virtually one in each hand at times with the amount of bites he was getting. All small bit and pieces but fun non the less.
I would like to take this oportunity to thank him (if he visits this site) for taking the time out to talk to the kids and let them put back a few fish from his catch.

I would like to finish with a question which I maybe should have asked said angler on Saturday; Can any one shed any light on the rig he and most others appeared to be using which to me looked like a string of makeral feathers but with smaller hooks which were also baited. name of rig, size of hooks etc.

Cheers AndyD.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
Hi Andy,

From the sound of it he was using the local technique for mackerel and garfish, which is literally to fish a line to a lead with as many as six short droppers, each baited with a small sliver of mackerel. This, and casting a breakaway then sliding a float rig baited with three hooks and again slivers of mackerel down the line, are the most succesfull methods there. There is very rarely the space to long trot a float out to the back of the pub on the flood, or to mess about with spinners, so most people fish anchored.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
sorry, hook size 6 to 4, mustad bln3621 (Silver aberdeen) will do the trick. Try and make your rigs without two many swivels and bits, as you will get no end of line bites when the mackerel push through hard, just after the top of the tide down to about 2.5 hours afterwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts