World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All along the foreshore at Southend are those rectangular brick paddling pools built in the thirties I think. We always, and still do, take the nets and go shrimping there with the kids in summer. the pools are never empty and full of rocky debris

Took the godchildren down at the weekend for a couple of hours before the tide and to my sheer surprise, there was a shoal of about 6 - 8 schoolies to 8 inches swimming around in the pool by Broadway steps. Just as hard to net as line catch. This set me thinking that these pools must hold a lot of food, there are always tons of shrimps in them

Would it be worth fishing in or around them across the tide. are they likely to be natural attractors, or am I just blowing hot air up my own jacksy

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
All along the foreshore at Southend are those rectangular brick paddling pools built in the thirties I think. We always, and still do, take the nets and go shrimping there with the kids in summer. the pools are never empty and full of rocky debris

Took the godchildren down at the weekend for a couple of hours before the tide and to my sheer surprise, there was a shoal of about 6 - 8 schoolies to 8 inches swimming around in the pool by Broadway steps. Just as hard to net as line catch. This set me thinking that these pools must hold a lot of food, there are always tons of shrimps in them

Would it be worth fishing in or around them across the tide. are they likely to be natural attractors, or am I just blowing hot air up my own jacksy
There are a lot od shrimp and that sor toff stuf fthat live in there. I often clean my bait off in the broadway pool and if I miss a worm and it falls into the pool it doesn't last long before all the shrimp attack it

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a lot od shrimp and that sor toff stuf fthat live in there. I often clean my bait off in the broadway pool and if I miss a worm and it falls into the pool it doesn't last long before all the shrimp attack it
So Jass do you reckon ithey will attract larger fish to the areas around them during the tide

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
So Jass do you reckon ithey will attract larger fish to the areas around them during the tide
Thorpe Bay maybe. There are still a few groynes around there which will act as a feature. As for fishing in them then no, I think that would be a waste of time. It is possible that the schoolies got caught in there when the tide went out. Afterall I have seen flounders in the boating pool at Southchurch park before.
As for the bigger fish I would head for Thorpe Bay as its deeper water, but as the fishing is so poor at the moment I wouldn't hold my breath

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thorpe Bay maybe. There are still a few groynes around there which will act as a feature. As for fishing in them then no, I think that would be a waste of time. It is possible that the schoolies got caught in there when the tide went out. Afterall I have seen flounders in the boating pool at Southchurch park before.
As for the bigger fish I would head for Thorpe Bay as its deeper water, but as the fishing is so poor at the moment I wouldn't hold my breath
Cheers Jassyfa

was just thinking that they may be sort of instant fish larders. Will just have to go searching for shrimp as bait with a stocking and coathanger in them then

1 - 5 of 5 Posts