World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi well complete newbie so no real supise that i am posting about a blank....
Set of down Southend Pier on Saturday, hoping to catch well anything really. Had some lug, squid and mackeral as well as an assortment of feathers. Anyway after a few hours of not alot of action had a chat with a few of the regulars who had similar luck. Tide was really at the lowest point now two maybe three foot of water on the pier head, and out of nowhere some huge Mullet started circling my lines. I then spent the next fourty odd minutes of arguably the most frustrating fishing of my life.
I often fish off the beach in the Southend area and usually catch bugger all so don't mind to much not catching often left just wondering if anything is out there at all. But to see these huge bloody Mullet literally sticking there fins up at me.......:wallbash:They would come upto all the bait and feathers i offered and just sit there kind of sniffing it.....
There was at least ten other people fishing that had similar frustrations. Just wanted to know if there was anything else i could have tried. Short of jumping in and trying to catch them with my bare hands....

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
lower a makkie fillet into water on a piece of line (mash the flesh side up a bit first)position it deep enough so you can still see it. when Mr mullett & his mates come nosing around it lower a small bit of makkie flesh (no skin, just flesh) alongside fillet. hold rod tight!!!! You wont land them all. i used to use 8lb line & a size 8 hook. lots used to break free or cut the line on pier legs, but good fun. the method works well, some days one fillet would attract so many fish that the water was black with them, in was no prob catching 20 or more. You need a good dropnet. we used to return all the ones we caught. Its at least 20 yrs since i went mulleting at southend but the method will still work Give it a go!!!!!

·
Registered
21,901 Posts
And what did you dip in the water to attract those sole......as they say in the trade 'too much information'.

lower a makkie fillet into water on a piece of line (mash the flesh side up a bit first)position it deep enough so you can still see it. when Mr mullett & his mates come nosing around it lower a small bit of makkie flesh (no skin, just flesh) alongside fillet. hold rod tight!!!! You wont land them all. i used to use 8lb line & a size 8 hook. lots used to break free or cut the line on pier legs, but good fun. the method works well, some days one fillet would attract so many fish that the water was black with them, in was no prob catching 20 or more. You need a good dropnet. we used to return all the ones we caught. Its at least 20 yrs since i went mulleting at southend but the method will still work Give it a go!!!!!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Sounds good would have loved to try it out, but a little far for me now :)
Maybe some1 would give it a go and post a report. Did it work as the tide was running?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Everyone will be down there tomorrow trying it, I have used a similar method down there a few years back, I saw on a rerun of a Henry Gilbey.

Where you batter the fillet and wrap the line of your hook snood around the fillet about 2-3ft above your hook.

He must have got the idea from baitman!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.