World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys coming up to southerness over the bank holidays for 4 days,Id be very greatful for any information on local marks and how to fish them ,Im a bit of a novice ,but will be bringing acouple of carp rods for dab and flonder fishing ,and some spinning gear for any rock marks ,also have a beachcaster for some shore fishing ,also dont mind catching doggies there still fish after all lol,thank you whippet

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hi guys coming up to southerness over the bank holidays for 4 days,Id be very greatful for any information on local marks and how to fish them ,Im a bit of a novice ,but will be bringing acouple of carp rods for dab and flonder fishing ,and some spinning gear for any rock marks ,also have a beachcaster for some shore fishing ,also dont mind catching doggies there still fish after all lol,thank you whippet
Welcome to the forum mate, At Southerness the species most likely to encounter in order of abundance are flounder, dab, eel, plaice and bass. Anything else is a stranger fish. Dig lug at Southerness itself with a garden fork. A wee bit hard to dig just now for some reason, only getting approx one per dig if lucky, but they are the top bait for the area. I would suggest you go to the low water mark at low tide, to the right of the lighthouse, and fish for the first two hours of the flood, or go round to Gillfoot bay and fish near the targets ( a big rock formation with some old metal poles still showing) watch your back and do not let the tide surround you. For the last two hours of the flood and first of the ebb, go a couple of miles to Powillimount. ( bumpy car park ) There is a long rock formation with very comfortable stances where the usual species can be caught. All very clean bottom although you will require grip weights, as weed will gather on your line and terminal tackle on most occasions.
A wee bit further is Carsethorn where you can fish at any state of the tide, although it is awkward to fish the ebb when it is in full flow, and a waste of time when the local rivers are in spate. For Carsethorn the only bait is crab, others gone in seconds, and crabs very scarce just now. You can also dig lug at Gillfoot bay and Powillimount, I say this as it will not attract the professional digger as the worms are mostly red milky ones, O.K. for the day they are dug, and even the next if kept cool, but they do blow very quickly.
From the beaches you will be fishing in shallow water, with a bit of depth at Powillimount when tide is in. Never seen anyone spining these areas, though it may just be rewarding, especially if you can gain a bit of depth by wearing waders.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Digging seems to be the same all over, harder than usual, i think its down to all the fresh water driving the worms deeper, 2 full forks down has been working for me, but not on the solway haven got round to fishing there yet:fish:

·
Registered
471 Posts
HI whippet welcome to the forum.
I'm pretty new to sea fishing and have had some good advice and also my first fish from help on this forum( thanks again dab hand)
planning to get out in southerness area this wkend so will post my success:sun: or failure :sad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts