World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all

Tell me if I'm wrong, and being fairly new to all of this I'm still trying to work out when to fish and where, but I thought low tide is not a great time to fish?

At low tide this morning in front of the rowing club there were a few sizeable (I assume) bass, very close in to shore jumping after the small fry and further round by Old Portsmouth there was a huge shoal of (I assume) mackerel accompanied by all the gulls, the sea was alive over a huge area.

Did I have any gear, no, but it was nice to watch! Is it worth fishing the low tide?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Short answer is 'Yes'!
Clarence in particular, is known for being a low water venue. Give it a month and it should fish for Soles, Red Mullet, Tub Gurnard, Bass, as well as Eels, Pout, etc. Fishes best after a good stir up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, i'll hopefully join the posters listing their successes soon.

Fished Eastney by the lifeboat station a couple of weeks back from 11.30 midnight til 2.30 and took my youngest along for the night adventure. Hooked a nice size fish but lost it on the waters edge (a bass I think) but as I was trying to wake the lad up so he could see it, I let it all go slack and it got away. Told my lad, next time, the fish comes first!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Short answer is 'Yes'!
Clarence in particular, is known for being a low water venue. Give it a month and it should fish for Soles, Red Mullet, Tub Gurnard, Bass, as well as Eels, Pout, etc. Fishes best after a good stir up.
what about around the old round tower (old portsmouth) is that any good at low tide never fished here but meaning to very soon and i have never fished at low tide either

going fishing wednesday as i got some squid and mackerel in the freezer was going to go 3.28am for high tide at hayling or eastney, but now thinking might give the low tide ago... so is this a good idea?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jemery, from what I saw on Sunday morning the fish were very active and it convinced me it was well worth a go. I've only fished Clarence Pier area once before but it was very productive, admitttedly no keepers but it was better than blanking. Only problem down there is it's difficult to fish in peace, v busy with people walking behind you all the time. Nice down there at night or v early though

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't know about the Round Tower, sorry!
Have only ever fished by the Rowing Club at Clarence. A bit of a snag pit, so it pays to retrieve your gear as fast as possible.
September into October is probably the best time. Taken Bass here up to around 6lb, and know of fish into double figures having been taken...live Pouting or a large piece of Mackerel probably the best bet.
A few Spiders around at the moment, so take a few rigs with you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
thanks for all the advice think i might give low tide tonight ago

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
If you do I might see you down there. I'm going to have a session by the rowing club tonight starting about 8pm. More in hope than expectation but it beats sitting at home, especially in this weather :sun::icecream:

·
Registered
872 Posts
im off there tmrw.. should be interesting

·
Registered
58 Posts
well guys in the end i never went my friend who was the driver decided to go down the pub instead:eek:fftopic:
was annoyed, but that how things go, think we will give it ago after the england macth tonight.
but i did end up going down southsea with my dad to see what was happening, so we wentr down there for a hour, saw alot of people fishing all around the round tower and clarence peir and we also saw a seal, which was very nice and must mean there is fishes.
if only i had money to buy a car i would of been straight down there with my gear to fish on my own.. being a Uni student does have its disadvantages:hammer:
but how did everyone get on any catches?

·
Registered
571 Posts
i fished it 2 weeks ago over the low for two consecutive nights, both nights fished well for the smaller species which were: tub gurnards, pup smuts, bream, pout, whiting, poor cod and i also had two of these

And good job i was trying for an early sole with size 4 hooks as i would never of landed these beauties lol (i had 3 all in all)

So yeah i suppose it does fish over the low.

Reactions: tomthetorag

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Fished last night from an hour before low until just after midnight. Good session, five different species, full report to follow on a seperate thread once I've uploaded the pictures :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I listened to my mate and instead of trying Old Portsmouth as planned at low tide on Tuesday evening we went to Eastney by Fort Cumberland, just up from the jetty from 8pm-10pm.

I think it must be down to our bait presentation but we blanked again! Tried Rag, Sandeels and Squid on a variety of rigs and hook sizes. A bit weedy but not too bad.

Off down to Devon on hols or a week to see if there are any fish in the sea down there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts