World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Fished Southsea pier yesterday with 2 mates from work (Taff and Mark). Mark and I blanked whilst Taff caught a small Scorpion Fish. Baits used were Ragworm, Squid and Mackeral.

Something that was disturbing the fishing boat that came within 50 yards of the pier!

Woodster

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
good to see! sombody has been ranting that ther is no fishing
aloud on the peir at all at the moment!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
When I went to the pier a little while back (15th March);the tackle kiosk was bolted and barred and there was a notice saying the pier was closed for fishing, there was another notice in a window just a bit further on. I don't feel inclined to drive 70 miles to check so perhaps you would ?

If this is an example of the behaviour of local "anglers" perhaps it should be closed, permanently, the place was in an absolutely disgusting state. Perhaps it was just tourists who smash out the ballustrading, wrench the seat planks off, grafitti and carve on the remaining planks, **** all over the place and leave all the rubbish?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You fishing Eastney on 01/04 Geffaz?
love to mate but have a transport problem, so think ill be joining
andy colmer on the peir as my bus stop is just round the corner
from south parade peir!

capn totaly agee but looks like the peir is good to go now! gota say thats a pretty sad picture!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
from south parade peir!

capn totaly agee but looks like the peir is good to go now! gota say thats a pretty sad picture!
capn just a little tip if your in doubt and dont wont a wasted journey
call the local tackle shop, takes about a min on the net!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I should be coming down for the day but transport is not decided yet as I've asked Mark_S for a lift from Shoreham but might drive it if you need a lift? I'll be coming from Tunbridge Wells, Pevensey Bay or Dungeness (depending on if I fish Sat night) if you need a lift. Are you in Brighton? Let me know what the score is so I can let Mark know.

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
from south parade peir!

Geoff...........Sadly the situation with the pier is as follows:-

The decking is still shut and having spoken to the local authorities, it would appear that it will remain so for the forseeable future (they have no interest in anglers whatsoever). I doubt that anglers were responsible for the mess shown in the previous picture.......more likely to be local p*ssed up w*ankers who tend to get on there as soon as the sun comes out. :uhuh:

There are notices all over the pier saying that there is no fishing allowed; however, they are letting people fish from the main part of the pier for some reason........or at least they are not stopping people from doing so. That said, as for Sun 1st April, the pier is unlikely to fish well until the evening (due to the tide times) and anyway there will be loads of people walking around on it during the day (particularly if there is any decent weather).

Consequently I will now be fishing the beach on the day.......but might have a few hours on the pier after the meet, depending on how we feel. If I actually lived near Pompey I would look into the prospect of negotiating a deal with the council and forming an SAS style group 'cos it is generally us anglers who clear up the sh*te anyway and I can see my favourite bass mark being unavailable all summer. :nonono:

Take care.

Andy. :)

ps. JD is getting a lift to the meet with Bally.....any chance you could hop in with them to save b*ggering around with buses? I should add though.....you can still get the bus for the meet, the pier is very close to the meet venue.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Geoff...........Sadly the situation with the pier is as follows:-

The decking is still shut and having spoken to the local authorities, it would appear that it will remain so for the forseeable future (they have no interest in anglers whatsoever). I doubt that anglers were responsible for the mess shown in the previous picture.......more likely to be local p*ssed up w*ankers who tend to get on there as soon as the sun comes out. :uhuh:

There are notices all over the pier saying that there is no fishing allowed; however, they are letting people fish from the main part of the pier for some reason........or at least they are not stopping people from doing so. That said, as for Sun 1st April, the pier is unlikely to fish well until the evening (due to the tide times) and anyway there will be loads of people walking around on it during the day (particularly if there is any decent weather).

Consequently I will now be fishing the beach on the day.......but might have a few hours on the pier after the meet, depending on how we feel. If I actually lived near Pompey I would look into the prospect of negotiating a deal with the council and forming an SAS style group 'cos it is generally us anglers who clear up the sh*te anyway and I can see my favourite bass mark being unavailable all summer. :nonono:

Take care.

ps. JD is getting a lift to the meet with Bally.....any chance you could hop in with them to save b*ggering around with buses?
thats a real shame! that place was going to be my new stomping ground this year! last year it was brighton marina year before it was shorham arm!

·
1,603 Posts
thats a real shame! that place was going to be my new stomping ground this year! last year it was brighton marina year before it was shorham arm!
I've not given up hope yet mate......phonecalls to make, people to shout at etc!!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
please do! like you say shame you cant get some sort of angling body together!
id sign up mate! im sure aload of the portsmouth lads would be up for it!

·
1,603 Posts
please do! like you say shame you cant get some sort of angling body together!
id sign up mate! im sure aload of the portsmouth lads would be up for it!
Ok.......you've convinced me!! Didn't take a lot did it?! I will make some phone calls and see what can be sorted. The guy that runs the tackle shack there usually charges a couple of quid for you to fish the pier when it is properly open....don't know where that cash goes for certain, but if he is trousering it....I might be about to upset him. Oh well, never mind eh?! :blink:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Andy, the litter was angling litter, a blue rod bag on the left, cloth for holding fish/wiping hands in centre, bait wrappers/newspaper on the right.
I know what angler's **** looks like.... I fish Chesil !

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ok.......you've convinced me!! Didn't take a lot did it?! I will make some phone calls and see what can be sorted. The guy that runs the tackle shack there usually charges a couple of quid for you to fish the pier when it is properly open....don't know where that cash goes for certain, but if he is trousering it....I might be about to upset him. Oh well, never mind eh?! :blink:

andy u should run for goverment start small though{fishing first}then work your way up i would vote for u:)

·
1,603 Posts
Andy, the litter was angling litter, a blue rod bag on the left, cloth for holding fish/wiping hands in centre, bait wrappers/newspaper on the right.
I know what angler's **** looks like.... I fish Chesil !
Mmmmmm!! Didn't look closely enough at the picture did I?! No defence for that :schmoll: Filthy b*st*ards!! Let's hope the council are prepared to let us help eradicate it as best we can. If anyone has any helpful contacts or phone numbers......I am all ears.

·
1,603 Posts
andy u should run for goverment start small though{fishing first}then work your way up i would vote for u:)
LOL!! :clap2:

Vote Andy............Has a nice ring to it!! :blink:

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I should be coming down for the day but transport is not decided yet as I've asked Mark_S for a lift from Shoreham but might drive it if you need a lift? I'll be coming from Tunbridge Wells, Pevensey Bay or Dungeness (depending on if I fish Sat night) if you need a lift. Are you in Brighton? Let me know what the score is so I can let Mark know.
Tom - you have a pm!

Geffaz - you're welcome to a lift down to Eastney mate.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
ps. JD is getting a lift to the meet with Bally.....any chance you could hop in with them to save b*ggering around with buses? I should add though.....you can still get the bus for the meet, the pier is very close to the meet venue.
Unfortunately I drive an astra van and master Donnelly has called the only available seat otherwise I would of offered mate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts