World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a break of some 15 years from fishing, I decided it was time to get the old stick out again (well - more to do with my mum telling me that all my gear had been in the garage for far too long, and as I'm now 32 & own my own home in London, would I bloody shift it!) so I decided to hit my old childhood haunt of South Parade Pier.

Taking the wife in tow I set myself up to do a bit of Smoothie and Bass bashing on the ebb and flow and to slap some mackies at high water.

Using King Rag and Sandeel on ledgers and pats I had a couple of nice school Bass (both went back - much to the wifes disapointment) but no smoothies for me. A guy fishing next to me managed to get a lovely smoothie to surface (I would say a good 7-8lb) but his light gear gave out and it got away.

Unfortunatly, I think the solents entire population of spider crab decided to come inshore to breed this weekend, and I got hammererd by them.
Ahh Bugger. :)

Was I just unlucky or can someone who fishes a bit more regular than I do tell whether this has become the norm for Southsea in the summer - like I said, 15 years is a bit gap!

On high water, the mackies moved in - right under the main pier, and no one could get at them - again, bugger!

Does anyone have any advice or other marks in my home town thats fishing any better?

Much appreciated if you do!

Happy dippin'

·
Registered
872 Posts
hello there the best places in portsmouth at the moment are old portsmouth run with peeler crab with braided lines being best best spots are the benches,still and west,private beach,and round tower beach on tide out good bass to be had havent fished it in a while but heard it was still producing. My favorite spot at the moment is clarence beach behind the oasis bar low tide up for 4 hours will see u get smoothounds and bass any rig seems to work from running ledger to single hook clipdowns with a 4/0 pulley rig my favorite hope this helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
Might go down to Southsea this weekend, what bait been working best ?

Remember Life is what you make it but fishing is down to luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the solent at the mo i've been fishing low water with peelers. Been having heart stopping fights with the smuts, hold on to ya rod. Spider crabs a bit of a problem though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts