World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking forward to my first sole trip to Southwold since the beginning of the year. Tides right, family away so Jimmy and I tried an overnighter.

Got down there at 21.00, 2 hrs before LW, in the driving rain. Not fished here before so intrigued by the double row of breakers and obvious gully at 50 or so yds. Shame the breakers were several feet high! Nevermind, there should be a bass or 2 around. To cut a long story short, we tried everything and anything with booms, beads, shot, rag, lug, short casts and long casts for one micro pout at 2AM for Jimmy.

Packed up at 6AM thorougly miserable. At least it didnt rain overnight and the hot dogs at midnight superb.

Cant wait for my next blank...........................:cry::cry:

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
thats a shame mate, especially when you are looking forward to it so much, always another day.....cod will soon be in...LOL

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Bad luck Matt, a bit rough at the moment, blowing quite a bit inland here so i'd think it's not to good on the coast

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad luck Matt, a bit rough at the moment, blowing quite a bit inland here so i'd think it's not to good on the coast
Cheers John. Bit gutted at the 120 mile round trip when I could have cycled to Salthouse and caught nowt. Thats fishing i suppose and should be grateful I live so close to the sea.

Family camping trip to Southwold in a fortnight so no doubt Ill try again and hope for more favourable conditions

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Good luck on the hols, as you're down there try the harbour as well, there may be a few Bass about. Try evening tides in front of Gun hill if the weather is still for Sole.

I'm off to Dorset next week so hoping for a few sessions for something different like Wrasse and Pollack, just up from Chesil beach so might get some Macks.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck on the hols, as you're down there try the harbour as well, there may be a few Bass about. Try evening tides in front of Gun hill if the weather is still for Sole.

I'm off to Dorset next week so hoping for a few sessions for something different like Wrasse and Pollack, just up from Chesil beach so might get some Macks.
John, is gun hill in front of the lighthouse? Trying to work out last night where it was.

Chesil should be good with macks in the day and doggies at night. Triggers too at Abbotsbury. Have a good one. Matt

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
cheers,

No it's a bit further towards the harbour, there are some cannons on top of the hill, if you fish in front of them or in front of the italian restaurant (as you drive towards the harbour) you are in with a good chance.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
i,ve had the same sort of luck down there this year as well matt so your not alone bud the sole really seem to be on the quiet side this year
gun hill is a nice spot mate have a look on google earth its just up from the harbour mouth

·
Registered
950 Posts
Its been a funny season for soles Matt i had a bulk of mine earlier in the season and then they died off in numbers. My thoughts are the usual netters and trawlers are making sure we dont get a look in.
Dabslayer

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've blanked 3 times at my favorite spot the last 3 outings, what made it worse the last time was a bloke a little further up from me using the exact same bait and rig , caught 2 nice 4lb bass...........:headhurt:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts