World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to you all

I've just joined the forum having lurked around it for a couple of weeks and have found loads of interesting and useful information.

I've heard it said that Sovereign Harbour beach at Eastbourne should start producing plaice in the very near future. Does anyone have any knowledge on baits weather conditions tide size etc to fish this venue? Or come to think of it any venue where plaice might be caught ? I'm based in East Sussex but normally gravitate towards Dungeness for my fishing so am a total novice for the beaches in the sussex area, er except Pett Level but that's it.

Thanks in advance.

Yam

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
hi Yam, welcome to the site,

most of my fishing is conducted in and around pevensey bay, or occasionally the pier, I don't fish 'langley point' as the beaches to the west of the harbour are known enough, to be able to pass advice that will be much use to you, RoyS on the forums here does though, or certainly used to ! he may well be able to give you some good pointers,

as for the bay, not too many plaice showing yet. mainly lugworm for bottom baits, rag can produce too, but seemingly not as well as the local lug,

bigger squid and macky baits for bass, crab or big squid for smoothound in the summer, razor when rough, slipper limpets mostly anytime and any species,

eastbourne (certainly east of the wishtower) thru to bexhill is pretty much clean sandy bottom, so standard 5oz grippers and clipdowns for distance, or rolling leads for closer in (depending on tide and weather of course).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that Crazyplums

What I was thinking of in general is that with weather as it is and s*d all colour in the sea the best chance of sucess this weekend might be with plaice. I tried last year at Jurys Gap (just east of camber) but by then the"may water" had appeared so no joy. I thought the building of the harbour at eastbourne had created an extra beach frontage that produced plaice, I think I read it in one of the monthly mags but then again they rarely seem to reflect reality on the ground.

Oh well might be worth a thrash, it's a change of scenery i suppose.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome yang.

can't say that I have fished there for ages, can only pass on info I have heard on the grapevine, and that is it's not doing to good, weehaggisuk may have fished there more frequently than me, so might be worth giving him a pm.

I intend to do a fair amount of float fishing there, or next to the harbour wall this year on the east and west sides when the water is nice and clear. I have had some nice plaice on the point during the summer, but moved down to fish in the bay as generally seemed better, but will return to the point when sea is warmer and clearer.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i'm not sure the harbour actually made any beach frontage, i didnt fish it before it was built, but i do remember the shoreline was alot different to now, other than a beach or two inside the harbour (not sure if you can fish them or not) i'd hazard a guess that beach was lost,

you can fish (on the eastbourne side) right up to the harbour wall, and the same on the pevensey side, though in that corner, it's is very rocky, ok for spinning and fly though, only fished it one, didnt lose any gear (surprisingly) but didnt get a bite either, the may rot was setting in then too (june ?) so that might have something to do with it,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get the general feeling that there ain't alot occurring at the moment....

Edging back to dungie I think....but this wind and the predicted lack of any is a pain, hopefully it will turn to the west in the very near future. Out of interest the generally mild winter has meant the bass have remained at Dengemarsh with codling showing at the same time, in one instance on the same rig, strange days !

·
Registered
419 Posts
hi yam... at the moment all i seem to be catching at langney point are rockling and whiting........still getting small codling,dabs ,flounder,whiting and of course rockling nearer:secret: normans bay. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
hi yam... at the moment all i seem to be catching at langney point are rockling and whiting........still getting small codling,dabs ,flounder,whiting and of course rockling nearer:secret: normans bay. hope this helps
I cannot vouch for the validity of this statement but Ive heard stories of a 8lb Bass coming off the beach at Normans bay last week ?
Re langley point, I have caught black bream off the beach, in the summer of course,
and I also had my car stolen on same trip, joy

FishermanFigg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts