World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First Post. i was just writing to see if firstly anyone knows what the rules, regulations etc. are to do with fishing in and around Sovereign Harbour development in Eastbourne and what the best spots are and also if failing that someone knows any good nearby spots close to the harbour with advice on tackle / baits etc for a fishing trip fairly soon???

The only place I have ever fished in eastbourne is the pier!

Also as I work in Newhaven I often see fisherpeople on the West Quay, is this a good spot and again does anyone know what is being caught or used to catch in this area?

Thank you for all replies in advance!

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
hi dude,

to my knowledge, there's no fishing in the harbour or marina itself, you can however fish from the walls (popular with spinners and fly guys in summer as the tide is an hour either side of low).

just to the east of sovereign harbour is pevensey bay, more fishing spots there than you could fit into a week ! do a search on the boards for pevensey bay or team extreme and you'll find a fair bit of info relating to the bay, give me a shout when you're coming down, i'm sure we can fit a session of four into your timetable, any excuse !!

we'll soon be into the smoothound, currently bass, small thornbacks, sole, plaice, pout, founder and rockling, some decent fish out there to be caught at times, though this is the leaner time of year,

basic beach caster, 5-7oz grip leads (depending on tide/wind strength), 3hk flapper or clipdowns, size 2 strong hooks will take just about anything with lug, rag ok at times too, as are other baits, though lug is the main food source in the bay, so that's what fishes best usually, slipper limpets can fish well too after a blow,

flowing sliding ledger with pennel arrangement for the bigger baits, macky fillet, whole squid or sandeel for the decent bass, crab or squid/lug cocktail for the hounds (certain after dark marks only), crab best for the hounds, decent local crab, wouldn't bother with hermit or frozen junk, don't even need to be peelers, just big juicy crab baits !

if you can dig or pump your own worms, then they bay is full of them (need 6m tides or bigger in the main), alternatively the best bait will be anglers den in pevensey bay, or the tackle shop on the pier (pier bait and tackle). last i heard, the pier wasn't fishing too well, usually picks up real well from june on, hounds, bass, bream etc.

as for newhaven, east arm isn't too bad, topcat is your man there i think, the west arm is closed for the forseeable future.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
great reply hugh just goes to show local info cant be beat

1 - 3 of 3 Posts