World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What alternatives do we use to cut down on lead loss?

I wonder if any use converted spark plugs? Bit light I would have thought?

I have read some people use stones !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
I was wondering this too until yesterday!

Just been given a stack of sheet-lead from a friendly builder. I've taken one or two bits and rolled/bashed them into 1" thick 1ft long cigar-shapes and gonna cut these into lengths which'll weigh 4-10 oz. Thought I'd then simply drill a hole through each one and thread 50lb mono through and tie this into a loop. Should be ideal for casting up to 50m - nothing too heavy! - on deepwater snaggy rock-marks with a rotten bottom rig, or even without if very close-in, and such little effort is involved that they are worth nowt each in terms of time taken.

You could always do similar if you can get hold of some old lead piping - just cut up to required weight, drill and thread the mono through.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got hold of some wire, drilled a hole in the flattened lead.

Got hold of wire, put through hole, then formed a basic looop by twisting wire on itself a few times.

Certainly not aerodynamic.

Simple thing is I cannot make leads . Its called her indoors !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Bluebeard said:
I got hold of some wire, drilled a hole in the flattened lead.

Got hold of wire, put through hole, then formed a basic looop by twisting wire on itself a few times.

Certainly not aerodynamic.

Simple thing is I cannot make leads . Its called her indoors !!!!!!!!!

Yeah - fine for deeper water marks though e.g. St Davids Head, Uwchymynydd etc where long casting isn't necessary according to most who fish there (including me hopefully soon)!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dad used spark plugs in the past, got a load from my friendly garage and found out they were too light.

So he cracked the ceramic off and curled the element into a curve and molded lead on it with a mould he'd made from some scrap (he was an engineer).

What I never worked out was why he didn't just make a mould to take normal eyes.......

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi. An ideal rough ground sinker can be made out of a short length of push bike inner tube. Cut to the desired length, usually about 5" and tie off one end with line. Then fill with sand. Tie off the free end leaving a loop. This loop can be pushed through the eye of a swivel for attachment to your rig. If your "sandbag sinker" gets snagged (which usually is not often) a firm constant pull will usually "stretch" it free. Obviously its not suitable for power casting, but most rough ground fishing needs not much more than a gentle cast. The length/weight can be modified to suit your requirements. :)

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

The beach is full of beautiful aerodynamic stones of all shapes and sizes. Drill a hole, and fix a piece of galvanised wire through it. You can then clip your mainline or trace to it.

No charge.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hve used spark plugs and stones in a nappy bag. But weeverboy's idea is the best ever, good on yoy weeverboy.

Woodster

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like a bit of neil young!!

Do u tie both ends up with mono? And is it wet sand?

Where is the best place to get inner tubes? More expensive than the bloody leads!!!!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
An ordinary TCT masonry drill will go through them, especially if you use water as a lubricant. I find big old nuts from a scrapyard are also good over rough ground.
blueskip

·
Registered
199 Posts
i use THESE over rough ground and hardly get snagged, the lead lifts up during the retrieve and clears the snags - looking for a mould at the mo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have a friend in the tyre fitting services, you'll also be able to get hold of a lot of redundant wheel balancing weights. These are always removed from wheels wheen tryres are fitted and new ones are fitted in their place, thus giving a huge pile of redundant wheel weights by the end of a normal tyre fitting day.

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi Bluebeard. I work at a garage so inner tubes are easy to come by (or ask at a local tyre fitters, they will usually give them away). Yes, you tie off one end with fairly strong mono and then put your sand in (i use wet sand, cos' its heavier than dry). Then tie off the open end leaving a loop of about 3". Tie on a swivel as a connector to your rig and Roberts your mothers brother.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Bluebeard,

A masonry drill.

If you want instructions on how to drill it , please ask and I will explain in great detail, i.e. drill speeds and what diameter drill to use etc. I will even recommend what type of drill to use.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 19 of 19 Posts