World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to the Minack last night for the last few hours of daylight after some mackeral. Couple of people already there, one was spinning another had a bottom rod out and i set up my float.

About an hour in and we all noticed a skin diver with a spear gun swimming towards minack point from the beach. He popped his head up 20 yards from us, saw that there were 3 rods out but decided to carry on swimming towards us. He eventually passed directly under all 3 lines as he swam face down on the surface occasionally diving deeper when presumably he saw a fish worth spearing.

It then became clear that he would tangle in the guy with the leger rod's line causing him to reel in sharpish - a point the diver seemed oblivious to.

30 minutes of flipping around saw the diver return to the beach fishless. Each to their own of course but did the diver have to come that close to us all, swimming between angler and end tackle? :doh: Ah well, he was probably undersized anyway if i had hooked him

So the fishing? Well there were around 18 mackeral caught by the three of us in the end.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Well done peeps,i hear the macky's starting to show again.:1a:.I would of landed a nice 6 oz gripper on his head with my pink rod.lol:1a:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Probably one of the numpty idiots from the Lamorna dive school ,size 12/0 and 100lb braid might sort it :boxing:
Normally most of them swim straight past and fish past the point

·
Registered
204 Posts
i saw 3 blokes with spearguns near godrevy a few weeks back. One had a 6lb+ ballan wrasse in his bag :eek:hmy:along with a few decent pollack, The others had a few 3lb+ wrasse.... and people wonder where the big wrasse have gone!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
i saw 3 blokes with spearguns near godrevy a few weeks back. One had a 6lb+ ballan wrasse in his bag :eek:hmy:along with a few decent pollack, The others had a few 3lb+ wrasse.... and people wonder where the big wrasse have gone!!!
I've recently taken up a bit of spear fishing, I don't go after Wrasse as there is no point killing them for the sake of it, they're virtually tame as well you can swim straight up to them with no skill whatsoever.

It was very rude of the fellow to spearfish so close to anglers, a lead on the head may have highlighted that nicely!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've done the odd bit myself and have to agree with tom_o_m, theres no skill in kebabing a wrasse.

I guess theres an annoying minority in any sport!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fishing methods are peoples perogative i suppose but what really irked us was the fact that the diver first noted us all there and fishing - but still decided to come into our "swim" and very nearly becoming entangled in the fishing lines.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
remember...he has has much right to be in that part of the water as you.....an annoyance i know...but in the sake of good harmony, take a bucket of chum along next time and dump it in near him....with any luck he will soon ssip off....

·
Registered
24,896 Posts
Fishing methods are peoples perogative i suppose but what really irked us was the fact that the diver first noted us all there and fishing - but still decided to come into our "swim" and very nearly becoming entangled in the fishing lines.
Whats the bet that they took the wrasse home to show what great hunters they were,then lobbed them in the bin????? You were there first so they should of gone somewhere else.Best i dont catch them robbing crab pots:black_eye

·
Registered
785 Posts
& what about these gits that post videos on youtube where they spear, often at point blank range, huge 10lb+ bass/30lb+ conger they stumble upon between the concrete blocks used for breakwaters in ports? Where's the skill in that? I often 'congratulate' them in the comments section, but all you get back is abuse about being a 'goddam tree hugger'.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i am thinking this spear fishing could be fun . i cant swim so it may have to be land to sea . any ideas of the type of species i may species i could spear and could

·
Registered
785 Posts
Remember - they might not be doing it for "sport" but for a meal.
If that is the case then fairplay - so long as they stay within the law, then there is nothing anyone can say or do.
I see what you mean.
Where I live a maximum catch of 5 kilos of fish per day is permitted.
If you go over your daily quota with your first two or three fish, then
you're supposed to call it a day, but how many do?
They simply swim to the surface, dropping the fish into their mate's dinghy and carry on fishing. Those that don't go in the family pot will be sold at the back door of restaurants.
Under Spanish law it's poaching or furtivismo (from being 'furtive'),
with fines mounting to 1000's of euros in certain cases, particularly with shellfish like spider crabs, where special permits are required.
I have mixed feelings about this sport. Half of me wants to try it, but I think I'd end up getting into slanging matches with the point blankers.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i cant beleive you would all spoil his day by hitting him with fishing weights, heavy gauge mono line, braid & over sized hooks, what the hell is wrong with you all ?
If he is that close can you not just drop a bloody great rock on his head??:roll1::roll1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts