World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is there a dedicated spearfishing part of the forums?

I want to take it up this year and im looking for experienced people to talk and ask questions to.

Thanks in advance.
Nick

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Hi all,

I want to take it up this year and im looking for experienced people to talk and ask questions to.

Thanks in advance.
Nick

No dedicated section but I often post reports from our sessions, or should I say mostly my daughter's spearing exploits.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don’t think so but I quick search reveals a few dedicated spearfishing forums online
Yeah ive had a look on a couple but thought i would try here first as im already a member and know there are helpful people here

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
  1. Excellent, will keep an eye out for them

At what level are you at, are you already spearing or looking at getting into the sport. Have you got the equipment or looking into what to purchase. This is one of my daughter's videos, she's just headed off for a few days north spearing with some of her fellow team mates. I'm just heading out for a relaxing spear locally.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At what level are you at, are you already spearing or looking at getting into the sport. Have you got the equipment or looking into what to purchase. This is one of my daughter's videos.

Literally a complete beginner. Have done a bit of snorkeling but that is it so need advice on everything from gear, safety and everything else inbetween.

Just needed a new hobby but love fishing so thought id just try a different kind

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Literally a complete beginner. Have done a bit of snorkeling but that is it so need advice on everything from gear, safety and everything else inbetween.

Just needed a new hobby but love fishing so thought id just try a different kind
There are a few places in the UK where you can learne to freedive safe from trained people, there are also heaps of useful YouTube videos.

A friend of ours runs such coarses and happens to be a world record freediver, so knows his stuff. He has many videos where you can gain heaps of info but his videos on equivalent such as what wetsuit and fins etc are well worth looking at before buying anything. Wetsuits, fins, masks etc can be so comfortable that you barely feel them, comfort makes you more relaxed which is a huge part of becoming a good spearfisherman.

Have a search through some of his videos, he's quite a character.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzVy7DiPyVvfiOvXF_XMs4Q/videos

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Great vid, you must be very proud Jon
She's in a great position where she now has sponsors and represents the country spearing but also has great respect among the scientific and green community. Her knowledge of the health of the marine ecosystem has her doing surveys for fisheries and consulting at marine science seminars. Now 18.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
She's in a great position where she now has sponsors and represents the country spearing but also has great respect among the scientific and green community. Her knowledge of the health of the marine ecosystem has her doing surveys for fisheries and consulting at marine science seminars. Now 18.
Good for her! I’m sure she’ll go a long way! I remember you posting about her a few times through her progression, she’s on the right track! Nice that you got a little mention in the vid too

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Wot a stunning film yours daughters amazingly brave Jon d it was like something out of blue planet but do tell half way thru the vid there was a couple of seconds of footage of a spotted shark was that a wobble gong best named shark ever brilliant you must be hell of a proud mate :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Wot a stunning film yours daughters amazingly brave Jon d it was like something out of blue planet but do tell half way thru the vid there was a couple of seconds of footage of a spotted shark was that a wobble gong best named shark ever brilliant you must be hell of a proud mate :thumbsup:
No that was a leopard shark, far less common than wobbys. Wobbys are like common dogfish in my area, which can often be cranky to spear around, they also camouflage so well you simply don't notice them untill they move.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Nick
Nick, I'm in the same boat as you. Have just shared this new sub-forum link with a very experienced spearfishing friend and I've asked him to join the site and share some of his knowledge.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nick, I'm in the same boat as you. Have just shared this new sub-forum link with a very experienced spearfishing friend and I've asked him to join the site and share some of his knowledge.
Look forward to seeing him here hopefully.

JonD is an extremely helpful guy as well

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just worked it all out and it will cost about £750 for all the gear.

That includes:
Full wetsuit including boots and gloves
Fins
Snorkel mask
Signal floating buoy
Net bag
Speargun
Camera (obviously dont need this straight away but would be nice)
Awesome floatation vest (this thing is probably my favorite part of all the gear listed https://wingmanlifejacket.com/products/buyhydewingman?variant=31571094666)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts