World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
weight belt/harness and weights.

May I ask - why do you need a flotation aid?

p.s. a stringer too

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Floatation aid is literally just incase of emergencies. It doesnt inflate until you pull the cord

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Floatation aid is literally just incase of emergencies. It doesnt inflate until you pull the cord
Apologies if my previous message was a bit abrupt Savagebulldog. The good news is you won't be needing that. You will float like a cork, even weighted up. To such an extent that you wouldn't be able to dive without the aid of weights. Especially in a wetsuit designed for spearfishing - that is one with an open cell structure. 5 mm thick is the general suit that most people would probably go for in uk waters. Leaves you some other dough for things like neoprene socks, anti fog mask spray, a small knife, perhaps a torch if you fancy a stab at the night stuff..

Reactions: savagebulldog20

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
To get to your mark will you have to walk over rocks or sand/shingle? The reason I ask is that pocket foot fins are much better and more efficient than strap foot fins. So for these you would need socks as opposed to boots. Many people, if they have to walk over rock will wear a pair of the dreaded crocs, then strap them to their smb, then put the socks on and use the pocket foot fins. A decent pair of fins is actually a very good investment. In fact you can use pretty cheap stuff for most of your outfit, but I would pay most attention to a low volume quality mask, and some decent fins.

Reactions: savagebulldog20

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
To get to your mark will you have to walk over rocks or sand/shingle? The reason I ask is that pocket foot fins are much better and more efficient than strap foot fins. So for these you would need socks as opposed to boots. Many people, if they have to walk over rock will wear a pair of the dreaded crocs, then strap them to their smb, then put the socks on and use the pocket foot fins. A decent pair of fins is actually a very good investment. In fact you can use pretty cheap stuff for most of your outfit, but I would pay most attention to a low volume quality mask, and some decent fins.
Its mostly sand and shingle so will definately take that into account.

Im going to get all the gear other than the speargun and get a feel for it all first

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have most of that if you are size large chest around 40 inches offer around £300 which includes a seadoo sea scooter
Im slightly bigger than that unfortunately but i will definately check out what ypu have

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
My advice would be don't jump in to quickly on all those purchases.

As above life vests simply aren't needed, you are covering your entire body in a buoyant suit. In a worse case situation you can simply drop your weight belt using the quick release buckle. Don't buy the traditional style belt versions as these are more difficult to release.

The rubber dive belts are far better and worth the extra money. Being rubber they stretch and your body compresses with depth, the rubber also stops the weights slipping. Nothing worse than weights slipping together on one side, for making your swim very difficult.

Forget suits with zips, these will let water in and tend to be thick and uncomfortable. Yamamoto neoprene is extremely stretchy and comfortable, stretching around 300-400% in some cases. These suits need a lubricant to slip on but once on you will find virtually 0 water penetration. This store is very popular https://www.scubastore.com/

Buy fins that allow you to use wetsuit socks, make sure they fit with a 3mm pair over your feet. Long soft blades of 85cm or longer are actually far more efficient and easier to use than short hard blades. Most people make the mistake of buying fins that soon cause fatigue and aching ankles.

I prefer one piece masks with simple silicon soft surrounds, this particular one seems to fit just about everyone I've recommended them to https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/beuchat-maxlux/28478/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=155225&country=au&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIybn35_7l3wIV1zUrCh32EA67EAQYAyABEgIxlPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.

Snorkels need to have very soft silicon mouth pieces, I prefer the soft tube types. By the way remove the snorkel from your mouth when diving down, that way air in the tube won't scare fish, also you don't need to blow water out of the tube that way once surfacing, simply breath a few quick breaths.

A decent knife which is easy to remove is very important, I've managed to get cauaght and tangled in gill nets snorkelling on the IOW.

Forget the gun for a while, simply go out and dive as often as possible but don't push your limits, only do what's comfortable. Float lines are normally attached to the gun but a clip on the belt should be ok if diving without a gun. Don't go overboard on the floatline, a 10m line should be fine for quite sometime, also most of your target species will be shallower than that. Mullet make good target practice and don't taste to bad when caught in the ocean ( compared to muddy river fish ).

Be mindful of any anglers, especially if they were at the location first, have an alternative location in mind. If entering from rocks try to plan several exit points for current changes or rough conditions.

This video may help you out with a few safety tips. Also take a look at tips from our biggest diving stores over here called Adreno, plenty of handy tips on everything you need to know. Guns for European species are often lighter gauged for smaller fish, this is great as you can get away with lighter spear shafts which need less power but still give incredible accuracy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks JonD.

Ive just signed up to a freediving course 10 miles up the road from me. Starts in a couple of weeks so will set up another post once that gets going

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Thanks JonD.

Ive just signed up to a freediving course 10 miles up the road from me. Starts in a couple of weeks so will set up another post once that gets going
Fantastic, keep us informed how it goes and don't push yourself to hard, it's all about enjoyment with the bonus of a carefully selected meal.

Just heading out for a gentle session off my local headland. We are lucky enough to be able to hop in with an aggregation of 3m grey nurse sharks that hold in about 12 m of water often among huge schools so Aus salmon. If you become addicted you are more than welcome to head over sometime.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Have a good one.

That would be a dream
Enetered the water where I instantly spotted a large bream of around 1.5 kg, didn't take a shot as they are slow growing with that one being around 25-30 years old. Most anglers keep them.

Headed about 40m out towards the front of the headland rocks where I came across the first group of grey nurse sharks in just 4m of water, these were in the 7ft 80-100kg size. Then I came across the first of many giant common black stingrays with approx 2.5m wide wingspan, weighing in excess of 300kg.

Plenty of large blue groupers ( no take species spearing ). Numerous small reef species in the 1 to 2 kg size as well as good numbers of red snapper which looked a little to small to target ( even though legal size which rarely get released by anglers ).

All up spending two hours mostly diving 6-10m, not one shot fired simply because I didn't see a fish in the size or species I wanted for dinner. Thoroughly enjoyed the solo sesssion, wetsuit rinsed and ready for next time.

Meanwhile my daughter has gone 1200km up the coast spearing with her sponsors, like me she didn't fire a shot today but thoroughly enjoyed seeing the many different species. The lads she was with shot some good Spanish mackerel around 15kg as well as some other quality reef species.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts