World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just out of interest would you lads mind naming the fish you have caught in the firth of forth . i have caught cod,pollack coalfish,conger,wrass,flounder,plaice,ling,mackeral,sea trout,eels, 1 red gunaird. I just wanted to see how many species there are possible to catch . :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
hell marcus, sounds like your doing just great on your own.

First time I have heard of red gurnard caught on east coast of scotland - well done

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Marcus

Species I have caught in the Forth are

Cod
Ling
Whiteing
Pollock
Coalfish
Pouting
Norway Haddock
Bass
Dab
Flounder
Paice
Rockling
Tadpole fish
Ballan Wrasse
Conger eel
Silver eel
Red Gunnard
Mackeral
Sea Trout
Scorpian fish
Viperous Blenny
Buterfish
Nine Spined Stickleback

Still waiting to catch a doggy in the Forth (had them on west coast) I know the guys setting creels have been catching them in the pots....only a matter of time before anglers start gettin em :D

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I guess it is just another one of those species that doesn't make it up to Aberdeen.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the red gunard was a fluke caught it while spinning wonder why we dont get many doggies water to cold maybe :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
We were fishing from Anstruther harbour a few years back and discussing the fact that lsds seemed to be absent. Next bite and what did one of the guys pull in? the only lsd I've ever seen on the East coast! how typical is that.
Even more years back, probably about the late 70's / early 80's , we fished from a small boat out from Cockenzie one summers evening. It was oily calm and we could see shoals of mackerel on the surface. One guy commented that the shoals looked as though they were being herded. Just after that the rods bent double, we were using very light boat rods and fly rods with feathers for the mackerel. The result - the only spurdogs I've ever seen on the East coast.
I also saw what I'm certain was a large Bull Huss one day when fishing the shore at Cockenzie.
Only other unusual species I've seen hooked, though it wasn't landed, was a big Blue Shark, hooked no more than 400m off Eyemouth.

·
Registered
423 Posts
So far only Bass for me. Early days though and I hope to add to the list next weekend with a trip to Burntisland or Dysart. any tips/recommendations appreciated!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
both burtisland and dysart are **** m8 you would be better of going up the coast abit .

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If you guys ever venture up to Peterhead during mackeral season, there are three resident seals who usually nick 4 out of every 5 mackeral you catch.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Cheers gents

Where would be good further along the coast. I could realistically get to Anstruther (with a following wind). Looking for a mark that will produce even if the fish aren't that big as my son really wants to catch something. Mackerel in July will be good but looking for something this weekend.

Would appreciate any help on marks/bait etc. Be nice to add to my species count of...er three (if you count the codling from Largs last year and the mackerel from Dorset over the last ten/fifteen years).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Was interested to read Fish Force’s comments re spurdogs etc on the east coast. Spurs used to be fairly common on the east coast 25 years ago with big numbers on the grounds off Stonehaven and even further down the coast; not far beyond North Berwick’s Bass Rock. Commercial boats still get them well offshore, but unlike the previously decimated inshore haddock stocks that every now and then show flickers of rejuvenation, the spurdog has been a particularly conspicuous absentee.
Re Cockenzie: there have been some good thornback rays taken among supposed other east coast oddities from the shore here many moons ago, so the bull huss is not altogether unlikely.
The blue shark off Eyemouth is dubious however; what is more likely is that this fish was a porbeagle. There are good numbers of these sharks running off the Eyemouth and St Abbs during the late summer and autumn in particular. Angler reports of such shark encounters abound, and are thoroughly supported by commercial evidence of a potentially exploitable porbeagle fishery.

SS

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Diabolos,
The shark was most certainly a blue, it was spotted first by my mates girlfriend who announced its presence with several screams. She was promptly told to shut up, by my mate, and stop embarrasing him. Seconds later another guy hooked it on a string of feathers, presumably they'd had a fish attached, but he was a complete novice and tried to winch the fish in. For about a minute the fish was thrashing on the surface, more than enough time for several of us to identify it. I also saw a blue shark, actually I bumped into it, on the pavement, outside a fish shop in South Clerk Street, Edinburgh, which had been caught in the Forth.
With regards to the porgies, Ive heard one story about one under the cliffs at St. Abbs. Certainly would like to get out and try for them this year.
I did venture out today,for the first time this year!! from Dunbar. We fished for about 4 hours and took 6 fish, all codling around the 1-2 kilo mark. Not great but the water was very coloured and we didn't have any bait with us.
You mentioning thornbacks just reminded me of seeing a programme with that naturalist, the one with the beard that Lenny Henry always took the **** out of. He was swimming in the sea at St. Abbs, in the reserve, and picked a baby thornback from the water. First time I'd heard of them out there.
Have you heard any mention of tope? They're caught off Yorkshire and again further up around the Moray Firth. I'm guessing either no-one has ever tried for them or they detour further out into the North sea, or they could be seperate groups of fish entirely????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts