World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the visit to Go fishing at the NEC a few WSF members discussed the number of species they had caught (as opposed to simply the number of Fish caught.) The difference is significant. If like me you tend to SHORE fish the same venues on a regular basis then catching many different species is unlikely unless your 'regulars' are exceptional places. Similarly having access to a boat (or being ONLY a BOAT angler) will allow you to fish more venues and so potentially increase the number of species caught. (Is this true?)

The extraordinary (if not exceptional) number of SPECIES caught in a year which stimulated the discussion was, wait for it ......, 46!! (I will reveal who this was later on!)

How do you rate? Perhaps we should specify whether we caught them from the shore or/and from a boat, and exactly where regionally speaking (South, North, Central etc., Wales/England/Ireland we were fishing. This will allow us to discover how many Fishing Bedouins (so to speak) we have (good luck to them!)

In any list we have to start somewhere. In this case at the botom with my paltry list! In the twelve months to the beginning of April '05, caught from the SHORE only in North Wales, East coast and South coast:
Cod, Whiting, Pouting (lots!), Silver eel, Pollack, Ballan Wrasse, Mackeral, Lesser Spotted Dogfish (lots!), Bullhead (scraping the barrel here!)
That's a pathetic 9

Ah well, "let not ambition mock their honest toil"

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
errm, i've fished norfolk, north wales and the south east coast of ireland from the shore,
i've had:
rockling (five bearded and shore), pouting, dogfish, huss, flounder,plaice,dabs,turbot,bass,codling (tiny),whiting,coalfish,pollock and mackeral
thats 14/15 depending how fussy ur being,
i've done better than i thought!!
Swellyman, u said something in another post about feeder fishing at twenty yards or less in calm weather, where u talking about using a coarse feeder rod or just attatching a feeder to the rig?

Tozer

·
Registered
210 Posts
Fishing mainly in West Cornwall, i've taken mackerel, garfish, scad, pollack, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse, pouting, plaice, turbot, bass, tub gurnard, Thick-lipped mullet, golden grey mullet, silver eel, black bream, couches bream. This was a very good year for me, most of these fish came in the summer, where i could put most ime and effort into my fishing!!!

pzwill

·
Registered
100 Posts
Erm lets see, in the last 12 months from the shore in Cornwall and Devon....: mackerel, whiting, poor cod, pouting, ballan wrasse, cuckoo wrasse, small eyed ray, thornback ray, scad, 3 bearded rockling, turbot, bass, flounder, pollock, codling, lesser spotted dogfish, bull huss, garfish. might have missed a couple out but that's 18.

This year I hope to have gilthead bream, triggerfish and conger on my list as well, I know the spots I need, BRING ON THE SUMMER!!

PS: Couches Bream Pzwill, very impressive.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Ive only been fishing for 9 months ish..my list is as follows

Whiting
Pouting
Woofters (dogfish)
rockling (5 bearded thingie)
lamprey (YES I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
codling
Conger eel
Spurdog
Thornback ray
dabs

Thats 10 then....Spurdog and thorneys were caught on boat trips...

Im looking forward to catching pollock,bass,and a decent sized cod(ling)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Last year, all shore:

1 Dab
2 Dogfish
3 Coalfish
4 Codling
5 Pollack
6 3 B Rockling
7 Pouting
8 Poor Cod
9 Whiting
10 Mackerel
11 Grey Gurnard
12 Plaice
13 Flounder
14 Bass
15 Tope
16 Conger
17 Tompot Blenny
18 Ballan wrasse
19 Cuckoo wrasse (aren't they cute)
20 Turbot

Didn't catch a Tub Gurnard which was surprising and dissappointing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
had a a not bad year last year tried as many different methods as possible,

had bass, pollack, hake, mackerel, plaice, ballan wrasse, scad, whiting.

with the fishing being so lame in wales i was not disappointed seen as i was oing for mostly for large pollack, bass and mackerel on lures.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

I can't say that my fishing outings this year have produced anything worthwhile as yet, (3 Conger to 36lb and 3 blanks), however last year whilst fishing from: Portsmouth - Christchurch - Poole - West Bay - and Bradwell my outings included;

Ballan Wrasse - Bass - Black Bream - Blonde Ray - Brill - Bullhuss
Coalfish - Cod - Conger - Dab - Doggies - Flounder - Horse Mackerel - Ling
Mackerel - Plaice - Pollock - Pouting - Red Gurnard - Scad - Smoothound
Spurdog - Thornback Ray - Tope - Triggerfish - Turbot - Whiting, and of course the one that got away. A huge Portbeagle Shark that took a Pollock from my line as I was reeling it in, It took it less than 10 feet from the boat.

I am out again this Sunday on Meridian Express and looking forward to some Pollock or Bass. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Drew

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
I've had a proper tot up from 2004:

poor cod
pout
conger
pollack
dogfish
ling
whiting
shanny
flounder
bass
huss
dab
mackerel
launce
tope
black bream
coalfish
corkwing wrasse
codling and cod
ballan wrasse
mullet
lesser weever
greater weever
plaice
black goby
rock goby
goldsinny wrasse
grey gurnard
red gurnard
tub gurnard
haddock
cuckoo wrasse
scad
spurdog

34 species in all.

Mike Jr

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So there's the gauntlet thrown down! Drew with 27 was doing incredibly well but 34 seems to be tops. It includes species that I've only seen in books! Well done Mike bach, i'll have to do really well to add to my 7!!!

Now I'm assuming from the list that they are a mixture of Shore and Boat?
Perhaps we should have two lists?

Shore Caught Boat caught
1. 1.
2. 2.
etc. etc.
..... although I don't seem to be able to do it!
....... with nice lists of fish but species only count once put in either shore or boat

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Shore (18)
poor cod
pollack
dogfish
whiting
shanny
flounder
bass
mackerel
coalfish
corkwing wrasse
codling/cod
ballan wrasse
mullet
plaice
black goby
rock goby
goldsinny wrasse
black bream

Boat (16)
pout
ling
huss
dab
launce
tope
lesser weever
greater weever
grey gurnard
tub gurnard
red gurnard
haddock
cuckoo wrasse
scad
spurdog
conger

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I caught,
Small Eyed Rays & more s/e rays
Thornback Rays & more t/b rays
Blonde Rays too many
Spotted Rays only a couple
When I was fishing for turbot, bass, plaice & all sorts of other nice tasting things, I ended up with all those bloody rays! (Oh & a million "growlers" as well)!
blueskip

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

95% of my fishing is done from charter boats, 4% during the past few years beachcasting from St Davids and Freshwater East where I have blanked every time and the final 1% from Burton Bradstock. Hence the reason for charter fishing.

However this year I am returning to Wales in May with a new rod, Daiwa STS 12PM (Guaranteed to catch fish) so the guy said when I ordered it. That is, when I am fishing in between house hunting.

I am sure that Gusangus will have a record breaking list when he posts. Anybody know where he is?

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
961 Posts
I managed 29 species last year boat and shore all from N wales, bar Ling, which was from Hartlepool. Funny thing was I missed out on some that I usually get..... could I get a shore rockling... I couldn't buy one !! Weaver, no joy and I actually fished for them (am I mad). Me and some mates have a yearly comp and one year was fishing Trefor pier, about ten other anglers all quietly going about their fishing when suddenly some nutter falls to his knee's shouting .. yes, yes, yes. Frightened everyone to death !

Yes it was I ...... with a 3" scorpion fish. I do love species hunts.

Up to 12 since Jan 1st and aiming for 35 this year, also would love to catch a small eyed ray, never had one in 25 years of sea fishing, strange !

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The fastest rod on the beach is 'Rodman' Ray, the scourge of Pembrokeshire! When he sees his prey, those Small eyes narrow and the right index finger twitches around a loop of mono! Then woosh the lead's gone and soon he's in, again!

He wonders the shoreline looking to multiply his species (didn't we all!) but no ... he's met his Match-angler, that ornery critter Ol' Man Blue, Ray-magnet, general debunker of the fatuous, and boat angler par exallance! Long may he RAIN!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts