World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days late i know, but been busy since returning from Scrabster last sunday. Five of fished with Chris Bennet on Heb Warrior on what is becoming n annual species hunt. Last year we managed 13 species in an 8 hour trip, this year we managed 15 species and two specimen mission accomplished badges.
Starting out at 9pm, we headed round the corner(West) and stopped for bait, no probs.(Mackies and Launce)
Then with a very strong easterly blowing us along at a ate of knots we fished in and out of the several marks along the cliffs,drifting in to out each time. We caught the usual array of roughground fish.(Cod, Ling, pollack, Coalie, Cuckoo Wrasse, a pouting and a whiting).
Then we headed out onto a sand mark we tried our best to fish the bottom despite being on the drift and moving at quite a speed. Dragginbg our leads we strirred up some more species. (Spurdog, LSD, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Dab).
With the wind continuing to freshen we nipped back in close and fished an offshore drift again picking up more of the same species and then awelcome surprise.(Plaice)
We tried hard for a Haddock, Ballan, flounder which we should of got, but with the wind making fishing difficult and mackerel tearing through our soft baits three out of four drops we felt we had achieved more than we expected and went back very happy anglers.
In total we landed three big Cuckoo wrasse, two were weighed, one for me at 1lb 6oz and one for Mark Owen at 1lb 2oz.so the badges will be on thier way...

On speaking to the skipper I was surprised at how few trips are booked simply for the pleasure of species hunting in that area, I reckon 20+ species could be achievable on a good weather and tide day and we'll be back again to have another crack at what was a great day out....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Obviously the force was with you guys that day......
On another note, would it be worth thinking about a Jedi species hunt up that area.....P.M me some details of prices and places if you could my good man.
Cheers

G

·
Aye a species hunt in Scrab is worth it, last trip out of there we had

Mackie, Cod, Spurdog, Cod, Ling, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Wrasse, Ballan, Whiting, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Haddock, Blind O, Pollack and Coalie

not a bad run by any account

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Aye a species hunt in Scrab is worth it, last trip out of there we had

Mackie, Cod, Spurdog, Cod, Ling, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Wrasse, Ballan, Whiting, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Haddock, Blind O, Pollack and Coalie

not a bad run by any account
Would that be both Red Cod and Green Cod then? ;)

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Im up for a species hunt, would love to bag a big cookoo wrasse, going to have a roam down here see if i can get one from the shore :)

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
Im up for a species hunt, would love to bag a big cookoo wrasse, going to have a roam down here see if i can get one from the shore :)
i had a nice one years ago down at west tarbet!:thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts