World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Species hunting is a frustrating game; in the spring I trekked off to Cornwall to try to find a Gilthead ( with no luck ) but caught one in amongst a catch of small black bream from Swanage Pier last week. A local commercial guy says he has had a few small ones in his nets in the bay. A few have been caught in Poole Harbour just off of Lake pier

On Saturday I managed to catch the elusive Twaite Shad, from Swanage pier on float-fished sandeel fillet, a nice fish about 16" long ; a small lad caught one the same size in a match there later, he was well pleased and got a special prize as they do not score in a match.... and it would have won the biggest fish overall.
I'm told there were about 60 caught last year from the pier ( the Piermaster keeps a tally and reports back to a study group )

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Giltheads, albeit small ones, are starting to become more common up this way as well. A mate I was fishing with had one off Bronwich Beach at Hill Head last August and I had my first of the year a couple of weeks ago fishing Eastney.

Hopefully the Red Mullet will start to appear up here soon as well, another relative newcomer to these shores and another target for the species list.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Red Mullet can be caught at Swanage, I often chat with a commercial guy there, it's a very good way of finding out what is about, he was catching red mullet back in February. He often catches Lumpsuckers at that time of year too, but I've never even seen one.
Next on the list ? Sole from Swanage Beach, or a trip up to Mumbles for an easy Trigger fish ( they can be caught from Swanage but not frequently )
a trip to West Bay tonight for a scad, have been trying to catch a weaver from there but they prefer to be caught by people fishing alongside me.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Red Mullet can be caught at Swanage, I often chat with a commercial guy there, it's a very good way of finding out what is about, he was catching red mullet back in February. He often catches Lumpsuckers at that time of year too, but I've never even seen one.
Next on the list ? Sole from Swanage Beach, or a trip up to Mumbles for an easy Trigger fish ( they can be caught from Swanage but not frequently )
a trip to West Bay tonight for a scad, have been trying to catch a weaver from there but they prefer to be caught by people fishing alongside me.
Ive had plenty of good size sole from swanage so i dont think you will struggle there.Ive had a few red mullet and one decent size gilthead a few years ago.I will be down swange quite a bit from start of september onwards when holiday folk have left so maybe i can try and put you on one of my favoured spots if you up for a meet?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I have tio say that species hunting has taken over a bit this year for me.
I need to take a trip to ringstead or Swanage Pier for some mini species and still I have not had a bull huss. I took my Sole at Swanage beach also, marvellous venue

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
fishing bossington tonight over low ian.low is at 2am.had a few huss from there in the past:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips, I know where the rascals are, people fishing by me catch them regularly but not me this year !

as for why anyone would want to catch one, I left a clue in the thread title.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you fancy a red mullet i would stick with swanage beach- best place ive found, shell bay also produces them with small pieces of rag on a 3 hook paternoster. Also i see your missing a turbot, swanage beach is producing a good few- only palm-sized mind you before anyone starts getting too excited!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
wy would anyone wanna catch a weaver horrid things a pain in the arse come to hayling loads there!!!
me it's another species but i've already caught one for the list

i was just Thinking This Obsession we have about bagging new species and increasing the number we get in the year kinda makes me think?

It's a Bit Like Pokemon isn't it

Gotta Catch em all?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Species hunting is a good way of enjoying your fishing. You can fish with heavy tackle and sit for hours waiting for the big one, and being forever disappointed; or fish light, enjoyably and cheaply adding to your score and knowledge of the marine environment.
It is not a case of chuck and chance, it is a case of research, experience, inventing new tactics, and having a bit of luck.
It also does wonders to your fish identification skill.
I enjoy catching dogfish, but not all the time, one or two is fine.... then it's change tactics or venue for something different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts