World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out and about since the last time I reported.
fished various places with the uni club and my mates, mainly hitting ty croes and amlwch breakwater.
notched up a few more species for the year, including a few I've never had before.

Ty croes, with the mates - spent the best part of a day there, catching doggies, dabs, octopus, whiting, wrasse, corkwing, pollack, mackerel and one jammy mate reeled in a red gurnard

#

Amlwch breakwater with the uni club - ended up with 7 species that day, three new for the year which were poor cod, rock goby and this rock cook

had a few fairly fruitless sessions in between, at ty croes and the straits that only resulted in whiting

Then Ross invited me out for a garfish session, where i caught one which came home for tea

Back to ty croes where despite the wind I manage 5 species - ballan, pollack, whiting, coalfish and poor cod, the coalie being a reasonable size coming home for dinner again.

In the straits trying to use up the rest of the worm resulted in a few rock gobies

finally, back at amlwch breakwater today using up the rest of the ragworm. results were rock gobies, ballans, pollack, coalie, and one of the last fish of the day was one of my targets, a leopard spot goby I believe.

Cheers for reading/looking. hopefully be out targetting rays (hence all the ty croes trips) and cod soon.
Nick

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Great species hunting there Nick :clap:, looks to me like you're well and truly hooked :laugh:.

·
Registered
395 Posts
nicely done nick and a good number of species ticked off there. glad i could help with your garfish, will try and get out for some decent congers soon if your keen. Tight Lines, Ross

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
What a great list already! Has made me realise that having a good identification book is invaluable in your hunt. I'm aware that there are numerous on line but perhaps having one 'on-you' would help. Which one do you use? (and anyone else reading this!) I bought:
A field Guide to the Marine Fishes of Wales and adjacent waters by Paul Kay and Francess Dipper
Its a local publication:
Marine Wildlife
Vine Villa
Mount Road
Llanfairfechan
Conwy
LL030DW

RRP was £19.95

Essentially it's come from the sub-aqua area but still has some amazing fish i'd never heard of and each has both the Welsh and English (and Latin!!) name. Descriptions are accurate. Above everything else is the photography!

See - got the gear and the books all I need is a chance to get my size 12 hooks and get on with it!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great report & fishing, look forward to reading more from you.

I am very impressed with the book on marine species having looked at a sample of the photos.
Up until now the only reference books I have are "The observers book of sea fishes" & "Field guide to the water life of Britain" both only contain illustrations which makes identification a little difficult, though thankfully the descriptions are quite good.
Thanks for the info, this book will be on my Christmas list.

·
Registered
710 Posts
nice report there nick,and cracking photos too love that shot of the leopard spotted goby,ive never caught one before, saw me mate have one this year from ilfracombe and seen a divers film of the around lundy,all your close up photos are nice and crisp, proper job you bays
good luck and tight lines

swellyman i use this one on line
http://www.uk-fish.info/

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers for the replies guys. always enjoyed the species hunting, just usually i've been based in places with less variety of marks and target-able species. and having a car is a bonus. that said I do miss the "proper" surf fishing for bass but i'll get the hang of the lures one of the days

Yes ross, would be well up for a conger trip, I was told about a mark on the island that can produce big eels this time of year, just waiting for the right weather. I presume most rock marks will produce though

Paul - the garfish tasted really good, even the flatmates agreed, cooked it similar to mackerel, a chunk of butter, some orange/lemon in the cavity, sprinkled with some generic seasoning and a little extra garlic, wrapped in foil.

cheers, nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts