World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Moved to the llyn Peninsula in November and the last two weeks have finally gotten round to a bit a fishing! Mostly doggies until I caught this yesterday off the beach about 2.5 hours before high tide, the temperature was a good 22 degrees and there was a decent surf. At the first I thought it was a Turbot, but I wasn’t sure if t might be a Brill? Not very good with ID’ing flatties was caught on a 4/0 pennel rig with a single sand eel.

D9EAEDA0-3FB2-466A-97E8-C6AF64A9EF3B.jpeg

Anyway, absolutely love this whole area! Can’t wait to get some more time off and see what else is out there!

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
If you look at the right hand side of the fish the line of the fins is straight giving an overall diamond shape to the fish.
Brill fins are always more curved making the fish look oval .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look at the right hand side of the fish the line of the fins is straight giving an overall diamond shape to the fish.
Brill fins are always more curved making the fish look oval .
That brilliant mate! Thanks for that. Hoping to get back down there in the next couple of weeks

·
Banned
247 Posts
Run your hand over its back and feel for tubercles, Turbot have them ( bony lumps ). Brill don't, they are smooth.
To see the shape better, flip it over and look at the belly side.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Cracking turbot :thumbsup:.

A shame they don't grow particularly big around there though, I'm sure a 10lber off the shore would would put up a great scrap in the surf :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts