World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Planning a move to Edinburgh next year. Recently got back into fishing for the first time since I was a teenager. Here in Wales over the last few weeks, been targeting mullet on bread and bass on lures.

What species could I aim to catch from the shore/rocks/marinas in and around Edinburgh?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hello all!

Planning a move to Edinburgh next year. Recently got back into fishing for the first time since I was a teenager. Here in Wales over the last few weeks, been targeting mullet on bread and bass on lures.

What species could I aim to catch from the shore/rocks/marinas in and around Edinburgh?
East of Edinburgh is a mix of sandy beaches and rocks so good for the usual suspects - codling, pollack, coalies, flatties, wrasse etc. Quite a few harbours as well - around Dunbar is quite good. Bass at Torness (Nuclear) power station, though I think it's mainly schoolies as it's quite heavily fished. The odd ones get picked up at beaches nearby.

Going north through Fife, Dundee up to and beyond Arbroath is similar - quite a few harbours. Possibly more known for winter cod fishing. Also a number of spots good for Salmon / Sea Trout up north though I'm not up on the laws regarding those catches.

A few places in Edinburgh itself - Granton breakwater, Millenium Point, Leith docks, Portobello Beach behind the Dog and Cats home.

There's a few of us who meet up at weekends so you'll be more than welcome to join us. Also a few facebook groups - Edinburgh Anglers, Scottish East Coast Sea Anglers, Sea Fishing Scotland etc.

You should have moved to the west coast!! :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
McPud - thanks so much for the info-packed response, and the invitation! I’ll remember you when I finally make the move and would be great to tag along with you and co. Pollack in particular interest me a lot... Will look to learn about them over the next year here in wales so that I’m ready for them in Scotland...

(West coast would have been ideal but my friends and family are in Edinburgh! Also not sure I can handle all that rain!)

·
Registered
180 Posts
McPud - thanks so much for the info-packed response, and the invitation! I’ll remember you when I finally make the move and would be great to tag along with you and co. Pollack in particular interest me a lot... Will look to learn about them over the next year here in wales so that I’m ready for them in Scotland...

(West coast would have been ideal but my friends and family are in Edinburgh! Also not sure I can handle all that rain!)
No problem at all. If pollack are of interest, St Abbs / Eyemouth are probably places you want to look at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts