World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Speedmaster STC query

797 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AntD 
#1 ·
Hi everyone
Been browsing this forum for some time.Still in the process of getting all my gear.Been looking at buying the Shimano Speedmaster 2.7/3 in the20-50g version from Gerry's in Morecambe for £109!Just noticed now that it is not in stock anymore.Everywhere else seems to be more expensive.Is it worth paying the extra pounds or can I consider the 15-40g version as an all round alternative?
Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers
Ant:notworthy

#3 ·
Thanx for the reply mate.I wasn't too sure whether I really need the 20-50g version.I just wanted to make sure if /when I go to South Africa sometimes that the rod would be up to fishing for species such as Garrick,shad etc.I think they call shad bluefish in some other countries.

#4 ·
If you are lure fishing you are not likely to try and cast 100m and most of the lure rods I've used are conservatively rated IME...I have used 2oz (56g) lures on my Shimano with no problems.
Just don't give it a massive whack as you cast...take a little time to get a feel for the rod...:victory:

#5 ·
I have a Speedmaster Exige STC 10/11foot which is pretty good, but I'd describe it as "through" actioned rather than 'tip' or 'fast'

It feels better to me (though I'm not sure it casts quite as far) with the shorter length.

I got it for only £69 (I think) but, of course, there has been a massive hike in the cost of rods made of carbon fibre this year. From Veal's Mail Order

#6 ·
If you are lure fishing you are not likely to try and cast 100m and most of the lure rods I've used are conservatively rated IME...I have used 2oz (56g) lures on my Shimano with no problems.
Just don't give it a massive whack as you cast...take a little time to get a feel for the rod...:victory:
Spot on.I remember when I tried saltwater flyfishing with a 7/8 weight trout rod as a student many years ago.Used to find it difficult casting flies out a fair distance until I improved my casting technique...and then realised that many times fish will take the fly almost right under yor feet,lol. Think I'll order the 15-40g weight Speedmaster.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.