World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone use spider crabs for bait? i fish for smoothound and bass with them and they are lethal, they outfish shore crab, the smoothounds just whack the rod tip over, i am able to find 20-30 crab in no time at all, all peeling or just popped their old shells.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
At this time of year i've only ever found the odd one of those in july/august along with edibles and velvets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Around the end of June My local harbour fills up with them. They are an exceptional bait for Smoothound and Bass whether they are peeling or jelly and even when they are starting to harden up again.

Last year I gathered 2 or 3 hundred over a week and had to buy another freezer :eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
:confused: Sorry if I sound a bit daft but the spider crabs we catch up here on Anglesey are massive ave about a foot from leg tip to leg tip, we naver get anything anywhere near small enough to us as bait,never heard of anyone getting one in thier traps or under rocks,are they just smaller where you are or do we just call 2 diff crabs by the same name?????? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Question for you Rma,

If you get them that big....do you guys eat them ? me..... If its big enough, an tasty enough... I will eat anything.... :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was wondering that n'all. I set a few lobster pots for fun at low water in the summer, and if I get a spider crab in there, it's huge, way, way too big for bait. And I never find any little uns in rock pools etc

·
Registered
183 Posts
:) Answer for Bigdunny,I have never tried them myself but the lads that have say there really nice quite sweet they reckon.The've become a bit of a problem round here biting through hooklengths,plus reeling all the way in to dicover a huge spider is well annoying,maybe I'll try one this year and let you know how they taste :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

V

·
0 Posts
afraid i have to ask the same question,where do you find spider crabs in moult,considering down hants/dorset you'd have to scuba dive to find them in that state(so i've been told!) :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
rma said:
:confused: Sorry if I sound a bit daft but the spider crabs we catch up here on Anglesey are massive ave about a foot from leg tip to leg tip, we naver get anything anywhere near small enough to us as bait,never heard of anyone getting one in thier traps or under rocks,are they just smaller where you are or do we just call 2 diff crabs by the same name?????? :confused: :confused:
No they are definitely spider crabs.. the ones we find vary from about the size of a fist to the size you are talking about... In their jelly form they are easy to cut up with a good set of kitchen shears so you can get 5 or 6 good sized baits out of one crab, you just to have to make sure you've got lots of the orange goo that's inside them on the hook..

They come into the harbours along the solent side of the isle of wight (cowes and yarmouth mainly) to moult. They still feed while they are moulting so they can be caught in a baited dropnet or at low water you simply scoop them up in a landing net.. I have heard they also go into Portsmouth Harbour to moult..

The year before last they came ashore just west of cowes and several complaints were made to the local council that local trawlers had been dumping them there, as there were hundreds of empty shells along the shoreline.. so they sent some people down to remove them but they took all the jelly ones away as well and put them in a landfill not realising they were alive.. a shameful waste of damn good bait :(

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
If they're a bit gooey inside, wonder if it'd work to stuff a load of that into a gutted squid? Sounds like a potential big bass getter to me.....

That's a sad tale from the Isle of Wight. They should have asked local anglers for advice!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
183 Posts
Pluggit cheers for the reply sounds. like a handy place to live certain times of the year.Perhaps as they become more numerous up here we'll start to find them peeling, I'll have to get bigger traps. :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
if u can cut the jelly ones up for bait, can u do the same with shore crabs in the sam state? i've always used them whole whipped to the hook, which isn't always ideal.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Never noticed these before but recently there seem to be hundreds of the things washed up dead on my local beach-most round about the size of a fifty pence piece but I've never seen a live one where do they live-sand, rocks or what?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
find as meny of them as i do peelerls, there u can find soft shore crabs any where u find peelers, i didnt realiseu could cut them up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's a messy job, take plenty of rags with you!! They're very watery inside so a crab 5-6inches across the shell looks way too big for a bait, but by the time the water drains out and you've whipped it onto the hook, half of one this size on a 5/0Pennell makes a killer Bass bait..

Shrek is right about the smoothounds though, they hit like a train on this stuff so do the Bass... :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts