hi all

when do the spider crabs bugger off or are they here all summer

i find fishing over stone i find less of them and i catch fish

any help

joe green :cool:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
hi mate, here is a tip. Go to Ringstead beach with a mask and snorkel, swim ten ft out, pick up said spider crabs take back to the beach and cook the claws on the barbie. You will then see the little buggers in a new light :)
and sadly they are here all summer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cool: ok thats a pain

whats the best rig to put bait above the crabs

if you could help please

joegreen :cool:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ian

Any particular place for the crabs? I'm down your way mid July and would love to try collecting a few. How deep is the water they lie in (ie could you get them without a snorkel?)

Blenny

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi joegreen,

For what it's worth spider crabs, (Maja squinado), undertake an autumn/winter migration from coastal nursery areas to offshore sites where they overwinter in depths of more than 50m. Adults return to the coastal nursery areas during the spring. I can understand you thinking them a pain in the thingy, but try landing the next one that grabs your bait - they're absolutely delicious to eat.

Cheers

Peter B

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cheers for the advice Peter I'm down on at Abbotsbury this evening and have a bbq tommorow night so may try for the crustaceons, seem to have more luck with them!

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
:mad: bloody spiders, i've gone through loads of hooks on recent trips. ido agree, there very good eaters :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts