World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading the loe bar report and hearing that spiders are being caught.i thought that maybe we could do a `crab watch`...lol..this aint a joke:)

on the north devon coast the arrival of spiders means smoothies.ive been talking to a few local boat anglers and they will target the hounds a soon as reports of them being here in numbers..

so do spiders = hounds in your area?..:g: any reports of spiders on any beach in the sw..post here..:) ..could be interesting to see when and where they are about around our coast.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
after reading the loe bar report and hearing that spiders are being caught.i thought that maybe we could do a `crab watch`...lol..this aint a joke:)

on the north devon coast the arrival of spiders means smoothies.ive been talking to a few local boat anglers and they will target the hounds a soon as reports of them being here in numbers..

so do spiders = hounds in your area?..:g: any reports of spiders on any beach in the sw..post here..:) ..could be interesting to see when and where they are about around our coast.
does this crab watch come with the approval of the N.H.S.:)

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spider crab and lobsters etc are in around Pentire point near polzeath (north Cornwall)
I use an expandable pot, just lob it in whilst fishing from the shore there, works a treat ;)

nice one mart.:) been looking at those pots...but what time of year do the spidrs show in that area in force? shouldnt be long

· Registered
3,299 Posts
nice one mart.:) been looking at those pots...but what time of year do the spidrs show in that area in force? shouldnt be long
those pots are ideal for what i do, just tie a rope on and bring it in every 30 mins, always get edibles, spiders and lobsters, but they tend to rip the hell outa the pots when you take them out lol. mine has been sewn up so much last year its time for a new one. Also the bigguns tend to just rip through the sides to get at the bait, so i fill a sock with minced up fresh macky, stab a few holes in and tie it in the middle of the pot at both ends of the sock so the crabs HAVE to enter the pots.
They normally come in around april/may to spawn, but i'm getting them now using this method ;)

On Pentire point in early summer the rod baits are stripped within seconds coz of Spidercrabs m8, i've never seen so many!!

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
those pots are ideal for what i do, just tie a rope on and bring it in every 30 mins, always get edibles, spiders and lobsters, but they tend to rip the hell outa the pots when you take them out lol. mine has been sewn up so much last year its time for a new one. Also the bigguns tend to just rip through the sides to get at the bait, so i fill a sock with minced up fresh macky, stab a few holes in and tie it in the middle of the pot at both ends of the sock so the crabs HAVE to enter the pots.
They normally come in around may, but i'm getting them now using this method ;)
cheers mart..may is the usual time around here for em but hopeing they come in early.they can ruin a beach session!!.

me and brauntonian found/salvaged this beuty so lobster should be on menu this year with the help paul morgans boat:)

· Registered
263 Posts
ere thats mine ye buggers!!!...I lost e wherever you found e!! I'll let you ave it though. I collect spiders and edibles around south cornwall by hand (snorkelling) normally arounud the end of march....will ave to get in there soon...brrrr....still a bit cold in the water though!! :blink:

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ere thats mine ye buggers!!!...I lost e wherever you found e!! I'll let you ave it though. I collect spiders and edibles around south cornwall by hand (snorkelling) normally arounud the end of march....will ave to get in there soon...brrrr....still a bit cold in the water though!! :blink:

:marinheir :whistling ..i`ll send you a claw..lol..keep up the reports:clap3: ,could be an interesting experiment.

· Registered
370 Posts
Spider crab and lobsters etc are in around Pentire point near polzeath (north Cornwall)
I use an expandable pot, just lob it in whilst fishing from the shore there, works a treat ;)
i have been using those pots this winter,but rather than trying to catch crabs been using them more for groundbaiting,had edibles ,velvets,shore crabs,rockling,huss,dogs pout,pollack and gobies,but no spiders on the south coast yet,draws huss and eels from miles around,liskeard trago doin em at the mo for £3.49,well worth using

· Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts

hhmmmm :g: :g: a crab watch , sounds rather rude :D , shall post if i get any :blink:

· Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
cheers matey...all crab info greatfully recieved..:)
we have had some in the tamar all over the winter , yet to have any on the beaches yet , strange that they are in the river all year , thought they would have moved out for a few months :g: :g:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.