World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone could help me please. I have bought myself a rod and a reel for spinning, i have never been spinning for fish before so have no idea what line i should use and if i need a leader aswell. could someone please tell me what line i should use being a total beginner to spinning.

I would also like some recommendations of lures and spinners aswell please. i have an abu toby, a dexter wedge, and an abu floating tormentor. are there any others i should have on my list

cheers

steve

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi mate, in general you don't need a leader for spinning. The line to use could be anything between 8-20lb, personally I've mostly got 15lb on my light spinning outfit. Those lures should do you at the moment untill you've tried it a few times, the only ohers I would add would be a rapala of some sort and a popper (just in case you decide to do a bit of bass fishing) but what you have atm will be fine you don't need to overcomplicate things with loads of different lures.

For most kinds of lure bashing cast out, count down to a depth and vary the retrieve on the way back with stops, jerks, splutters etc untill you find how the fish want to take it. Cover the ground in front of you in an arc with a few casts and vary the depth of the lure in the water column to cover as much as possible and then move down 10 yards or so and repeat. Don't stand in the same place all day casting to the same spot. Hopefully thats the basics.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers mate. i appreciate the advice. I was thinking around the 12-15lbs mark for my line. but i wanted to be told by someone else so that i was sure of it.

steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi - for spinning i use 10lb line with about 10ft of 15lb clear flourocarbon as a leader. as above stick to the lures you have for now untill you find out what works best in your area, its pointless having a bagfull of lures! were i fish the sidewinder joey makkies are working well at the moment. hope this helps but weepete has prety much summed it all up for you!

·
Registered
383 Posts
use 15-20lb braid for spinning. get yourself a dexter wedge, 28-38 gram. u cant go wrong, medium retreive gets u mackie and pollock mainly, fast-slow retrieve might get a bass or sea trout interested. good luck

·
Registered
228 Posts
hi

i use 20lb braid , no shock leader....my rod has a 2 oz casting limit so that is way i chose this. if you read through the forum on lures, you eill find everyone has a favourite. but different lures in different area,s work for different people. we all favour different things. get yourself one or two of each type and play around until your happy. read some magazines and books, speak to people and then figure out which ones are best for you.

cast styles vary dependant on who you speak too, so watch some different options and use what is best for you.

when i need advice , i listen to everyone and try everything until i find out what works for me and stick to it......

good luck...dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi

i use 20lb braid , no shock leader....my rod has a 2 oz casting limit so that is way i chose this. if you read through the forum on lures, you eill find everyone has a favourite. but different lures in different area,s work for different people. we all favour different things. get yourself one or two of each type and play around until your happy. read some magazines and books, speak to people and then figure out which ones are best for you.

cast styles vary dependant on who you speak too, so watch some different options and use what is best for you.

when i need advice , i listen to everyone and try everything until i find out what works for me and stick to it......

good luck...dave
Great advice but I use 15lb braid. Don't go too light with braid or fill the spool to the top like mono or you will suffer with wind knots. They are bad knots that happen when you cast out.
Also buy a good make of braid and you won't go wrong.:yeah:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great advice but I use 15lb braid. Don't go too light with braid or fill the spool to the top like mono or you will suffer with wind knots. They are bad knots that happen when you cast out.
Also buy a good make of braid and you won't go wrong.:yeah:
Do not fill spool up like with mono?? Would that not limit casting like it would if you don't fill the spool up with mono? Sorry if i sound thick

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do not fill spool up like with mono?? Would that not limit casting like it would if you don't fill the spool up with mono? Sorry if i sound thick
If you fill the spool right to the top when you cast the line will spill off and cause a knot. Just fill it to 1mm below the top lip of the spool and it will fly off with no knots.
It is in all the magazines if you look through them.
Braid will cast a lot further than mono as it is a lot thinner.
I put 100m of 15lb power pro braid and cast out feathers on a 2oz or 3oz lead (cant remember which one i use) and I can completely empy the spool. It hits the knot that I tied the line to the spool with.
I have now got a better reel that hold a lot more line.
Trust me if you want distance then get braid.
Forgot to mention with braid you can feel when the lure or feathers hit a snag and you can pull hard before it gets wedged. It does work

·
Registered
180 Posts
Personally i would not bother with braid until you get confident enough with what you got. A lot of bass anglers still use mono for certain types of fishing and as you are using a mixture of spinners and plugs mono will be perfectly fine for now in 10-12lb. Braid can take a while to get used to and those wind knots can be expensive mistakes as the line can cost 20 quid plus!

Lee

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Steve,

I still class my self as a beginner, and knew nothing a few months back.
My advice is do a lot of reading on this sight, use the search engine for chosen words or phrases, and then go and try.

I can't help with rod makes etc. I use an Abu Garcia 10' rod which I enjoying using from rocks, with a Shimano Exage 4000 which seems to do what it should do and works for me, and 20lb braid straight to my lures with a small swivel and clip to make changing lures easy. Don't get carried away with this is better than that etc, get a rod you like the look of and that feels balanced or right and use that, they all cast, they all hold line, and a fish doesn't care what you're holding. I cast mainly 18g to 40g lures so as long as my rod is capable of flicking these then that's sorted. So I would look for a rod that cast between say 10 and 50 or 60g if I was you. A reel needs to be reliable, it does a lot of work, from reading on here the Shimano Exage is a good bet, mine certainly was worth the money and feels nice to use as far as i'm concerned, a cheaper one which I think is as good is the Abu Cardinal 304. But loads of advice on here. (Happy reading) I would use 20lb braid if I was you. You will snag if you fish rocks or weed and the 20lb braid will pull your lure out. The 20lb mono I used before didn't always and lighter braid might not either. So until you are a bit more experienced...20lb braid.

Don't bother "learning" mono line just to have to "re-learn" braid. I started with mono and to be honest I found it difficult to "feel" what was happening (Was that weed or fish then?) With braid you can feel everything. It is great.

Providing you don't over fill the spool with braid and also make sure after you cast you close the bale arm with your fingers as opposed to flicking the winder, and make sure there are no loose loops around your spool before you start winding you should have no problems with braid.

Don't go buying expensive lures until you've learnt or tried cheapies. I bought a £10 jointed lure and have caught nothing with it. But with some 18g and 28gram blue/silver, silver and copper tobys and a dexter wedge I get mackerel, sea trout and pollack.

Try different retrieving techniques, a medium to fast retrieve keeps your lure nearer the surface and works some days. A slow retrieve with pauses from 3 to say 12 seconds depending on available depth and lure weight gets your lure working deeper and works when surface spinning doesn't. I also had one or two takes when my lure is sat on a pause, it still flutters as it sinks. Basically if you don't feel anything nudging or taking your lure after about 6 casts or so, change your lure to a different size or colour or try a different retrieve tactic. Or move along the rocks to a new spot until you've learnt your section of coast.

Oh, and don't get dis-heartened when nothing happens for days and days, every one gets blanks. But when you get that hit...it's worth it.

Good luck buddy. Or should that be Tight Lines.

Boy, I read this and figure I've learnt something chaps!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry Steve,

All that waffle about rods and reels and you've got them already.
I'm getting confused with another post too. Oh well, hopefully that guy will read this one.

I must be getting old...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry gentlemen,

mono is the way to go!
Get STROFT ABR, we use it for seatrout- fishing and never change it, cause it is long lasting.
Got it on my cod-rods now for five years- never fails.
Got my dream-seatrout from shore on .22 mm in rocky area- what more to say.
Not cheap, but the best you can get!

Regards

Volker

1 - 15 of 15 Posts