World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,nearly all my bass fishing is based on drifting inshore over rough ground
with depths of 20 to 60 ft with live sandeels when i can get them.I was thinking
of spinning with a shad or wedge on some of the shallower areas especially when its early season and bait fish are not always so easy.Its also handy if just for a few drifts on your way to another mark and not have to bother with bait at all.I would be grateful for any tips or hints .:)

Many Thanks
SD

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
It works well at dawn and dusk when no other boats are about disturbing the quiet. Also watch for the gulls divebombing a bit of water, bass are underneath a shoal of baitfish forcing them to the surface. If you can match your lure to the baitfish they are after you will catch really well.

Work out in your head or have a trial drift some distance off, which will have most influence on the boat, wind or tide, then try to drift the edge of the area the gulls are working and cast into it, try not to go right through it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
When I lived in Scotland we used to fish and area where the tide washed over a spit/gravel bank, had some great sport at the right time, up there that was June - Aug but allways on the spring tides, day before the highest was ideal, it was always 1 1/2 to 2 1/2hrs after hw there, a good indication if it was looking good was the terns diving, they follow the bass chasing the eels. Depth of water was from 2' to 7'.
18g or heavier tobies worked well, one thing i did learn was to keep moving to different parts, even when you were catching and it died off, move on.
Don't know if it the same down your neck of the woods but it certainly worked up there.
I aint found the hotspot over here yet though!!!
Good luck,
Sean,

C

·
0 Posts
I have had reasonable success with plugs from the boat for Bass. I tried them for the first time last year trolling them at least 100 yds behind the boat at slow speeds and intend to experiment a lot more with them this year. I dont see why they shouldn't work from a drifting boat. We always used the silver or silver /blue rapalas.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I had some very frustrating casts from a drifting boat over Hook Sands. The bass followed my Sliver lure all the way to the boat (nice fish to) but wouldn't take then. I had them swimming alongside the bloody thing at one point. I think the lure wasn't in the water long enough as I was casting from the boat. Thise year I'll try trolling them.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
plugging is easy in the right place,just tow about 1 or 2 mph and have them at different length's out they will even take right behind the wash unbelievably don't plug much more than 20 foot in a place where there is not much weed and lots of rocks. terminator plugs are good maria chase,rapala silver also the clear plugs with inner reflection coating work really well,cos every fish is trying to look invisible,when water is really clear use these.If fishing is murky use a bright lure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts