World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just set up this account to ask one vital question really. But its a big one lol i live in the new forest area in hampshire and never really though much of spinning for bass but the crase has came around and got me as well. Well i thibk its just i dont really have a clue to be honest see im old fasioned with fishing ive always used bait and cast in and fished from the bottom but now id really like to try spinning so my questions are what rod and reel do i need what sort of lures and plugs what line and does any one know any local places near to where i live to spin for bass

thanks alll
chris

G

·
Hi Chris.....I see you have no answers. I'll get someone to move this to your local forum for some specific advice:)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So people can write on here lol thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use an 8 ft spinning rod (20 to 50oz) and quality braid not too heavy. Dexters wedges I have found work great with small bass, mackerel and gar fish which are all a laugh on light tackle. I have had my best fish from the beach using surface poppers ( mackerel pattern works well ) just behind the surf. Early mornings or eve's are good times. I have had to about 6lb this way. Hope that helps.....

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
9 Posts
one thing I forgot to say, if you are buying a rod specially I would get a travel type rod that breaks down into small bits. Then you can carry it all the time in the boot of the car along with a small rucksack and a few lures and bits. As no bait is needed lure fishing is perfect for sneaking in a few hours when weather and time allows. You are on your feet mobile and can cover a big area, no tripods and junk to lug around!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Maria Chase lures are brilliant, when combined with an 8ft long 20-40g spinning rod, along with 20lb braid and 10ft of fluorocarbon leader. Might be worth having a look down the Purbeck coastline, plenty of rocky gullies down there that should hold some bass.

Other companies that make good lures are YoZuri and Rapala

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Hello mate Mick here from Consett. Never caught a Bass on a lure but haveon rag worm.
My aim now is to try and catch a Salmon so i am trying spinning as well as fly.
I upped my fresh water licence and fish the free spots at the Wear at Durham. I,ve had 4 sessions and blanked 4 times ha ha. But keep on cos i know its only a matter of time before i catch one
Best of luck with the Bass.
Mick.

·
Registered
120 Posts
For a good allround rod get yourself an 8ft ish fast action rod with a 4000 size reel, this will give you good accuracy and plenty of line on the reel to play those big bass. Load it up with 20 - 30lb braid and 30lb flouro and attach you chosen lures. I have just got myself a tackle house feed shallow mullet which is an excellent lure that always produces fish, costs £20 though but worth every penny. As regards to where to go, there are loads of places around the new forest escpecially around the estuarys of beaulieu and lymington, pennington marshes looks especially good but I haven't given it a good go yet.

Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.