World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i go sea trout fishing i use a hunter or toby. any other suggestions. baits,lures etc.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Mepps , Devon minnows, Tasmanian devils etc etc, they all have worked for me m8, if you can flyfish, try a lure, I have had great fun with them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi lads,

The most common lure we use on the Tay estuary seems to be a silver or blue flash krill type lure. They are compact and you can cast a decent distance with them. Especially handy for casting across the front of rocks into the wind. ;)

bigdunny, what are Mepps , Devon minnows and Tasmanian devils? Are they flys or spinners? Scuse my ignorance! :eek:

cheers,

Shad.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Shad, heres some piccys of the lures, ive caught Sea trout and Salmon on them in the Tay and Earn

from top to bottom

Mepps
Tasmanian Devil lure
Devon minnows

·
Registered
91 Posts
There a couple of good marks for the sea trout in the Greenock area, Greenock esplanade, at the harbour end can be quite good, then there is kelburn park up in Port Glasgow, just fish off the rocks at this mark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Small plain silver abu toby spinner with red gills does the damage for me. I have to say though that in my experience catching sea trout in the sea is not an easy task. BUT IT'S WORTH IT WHEN IT HAPPENS!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Wow! This an old thread! :)

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It might be an old thread but someone has searched the forum before posting another thread about the same thing.
Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
aye ..john belfst ..made it his first post ...to reply to it ..

·
Registered
258 Posts
also flying c's work a treat on sea trout

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just started spinning for sea trout this summer and must admit I'm hooked.

The boys I met who've been doing it a while all swear by a bit of copper brake pipe or very thick copper wire, with swivel at one end and treble at the other. I've seen some of them catch finnock after finnock with it.

I've caught them on 10g Toby silver/blue, 10g Toby krill, copper pipe and Tasmanian devils. I bought some brass 10g Toby's to give a try with as well.

But, the sea trout are b***ers to get to take the lure and then even harder to land, which is probably what's got me hooked.

My largest so far is 3 1/2 lbs. I lost one right at the rocks that I estimate was closer to 5-6 lbs as well (B***ER !).

·
Registered
18 Posts
ksaro1, Don't suppose you have a picture of the copper spinners you are talking about. I would love to see one.

I caught three sea trout in 2008 all on a silver toby. My friend recently caught one in the surf while beachcasting using mackeral. I would love one on the fly in the sea but so far ive had no luck with that. They are very shy fish but thats why I love fishing for them!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Red seems to be very effective on a mark i frequent, whether its a toby with red fins or a small red wedge,dusk and dawn is the time they seem most active ,was also advised by a fly fisherman last year that a red fly just under the surface works well, good luck :victory:

·
Registered
475 Posts
John,

When I saw ur request I had a look, but I can't find a photo. I did have one once. Grrrr.....

Perhaps a description then? Get copper tubing as thin as possible. You can get it new from the likes of Halfords. I've also seen thick copper wire used, like that used in an old building as the lightening conductor. Cut to about 2-3" in length and flatten and round off each end. Drill a hole at each end in the flattened bit for attaching a split ring. Then attach a size 4-8 treble to one split ring. I attach a small swivel to the other split ring, but that's a matter of preference. When you're complete you should have treble -> split ring -> copper tube/wire -> split ring (-> swivel or clip optional)

If using copper tubing instead of cable, it's best to add some lead inside. Or an old nail, though they will rust and discolour the lure. This adds distance to the casting. Where I've fished, the sea trout can be a good cast away. Although, I've also hooked some almost at my feet.

Personally, I've had as good success so far with the Toby Krills (10g) as with the copper lures. Fish both with a medium to slow, steady retrieve. I use a 3-5' trace to attach the lure to the main line. I've been told another tip is to attach a fly or small spinner directly to where you attach the trace to the main line. If you use a spring-clipped swivel on your main line, then you can just slide the eye of the fly or spinner onto the clip along with the trace. (I've also seen this tip mentioned for pollack, when there are small ones about). The theory is that they see the larger lure and then attack the smaller one.

Another necessary piece is steel wool. The lures work best if kept as shiny as possible. A quick rub with steel wool before use is usually sufficient.

As for the fly, see the Orkney site. They have good tips there on fishing for sea trout on the fly. I've not tried their suggestions yet, but hope to this summer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try a spot of ''putty'' on the treble of your Toby the Sea Trout go mad for it.But watch out for plod :busted_co or the bailiffs........thats what I'm told anyway.:ph34r:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try a spot of ''putty'' on the treble of your Toby the Sea Trout go mad for it.But watch out for plod :busted_co or the bailiffs........thats what I'm told anyway.:ph34r:
Morron!

At least you acknowledge that it is illegal, that is a start anyway. Maybe in a couple generations the likes of you will have died out

1 - 20 of 54 Posts