World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys hope your all well. I've just gotten myself a spinning rod that I intend to use from shore spinning for mackeral and bass, regarding line what lbs line would you suggest using. I've also heard conflicting info about using shock leaders for spin fishing

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
You will get a mix of replies on such subjects simply because there are no set rules. However if you take the time to look at catch reports from the people giving advice to see what they are catching on the tackle they recommend you will soon find that many who give advice don't seem to fish!!!!!

Some of the best reports I've seen have been from those fishing the lightest, something most freshwater anglers would soon back up.

Its a fact that the lighter you drop down in line class the further your casting range will be. The lighter your leaders are the more hookups you will get, if not you would have freshwater anglers using 80lb tackle in the rivers.

For me Im lucky that after moving from the UK I was able to test tackle on fish that are almost guaranteed when ever I head up the beach to flick a lure. Not only are these fish plentiful but they are also extremely hard fighting compared to the bass I used to target all my life living on the IOW.

For me 10-15lb is the max I will use from the shore flicking lures, however my daughter who totally out fishes me will use 6lb as her max. The difference in catch between the two of us is to the point I simply won't catch any bream on light lures where she will catch them almost every cast.

Depending on the target species I will use different leaders, with 20lb being the heaviest but even 100lb wouldn't be enough if a tailor (bluefish) got the line anywhere near its teeth. The fish you are targeting dont have razor teeth and even if they did they would still need to fully engulf a lure to bite you off. Some people are also paranoid about loosing a lure and would rather sacrifice catching fish over loosing one!!!

Line is pretty cheap, so if you happen to have two spools and try one with 10lb and one with 20lb and do a measured cast over grass you will soon see just how much difference line class makes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
^^^ Top advice, a lot of it is also down to preference, personally I like 10lbs for mixed ground bass venues may go heavier with rougher ground, may go to 6lbs on clear ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts