World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just found my old mans spinning rod and reel, never used one before, whats the beat way to use it and what do i put on the line??

·
England Team Captain
30,607 Posts
Click ' Lures and Flies' from the top bar then Lures, a great guide there mate.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
just found my old mans spinning rod and reel, never used one before, whats the beat way to use it and what do i put on the line??
The best way to use it would probably be to buy a few poppers and some wire trace, put the rod in a bazuka case, go to Gatwick and get on a plane to Cuba, go to the Melia pier and start fishing.

·
Registered
443 Posts
A bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but here is some basic advice. As has been said, you can use lures or plugs, spinners, artificial eels, feathers and a whole lot of different techniques depending on what you are trying to target and where you are.

Much will depend on the rod and line you have. Hopefully, it will have a casting weight range marked on it - this is your starting point as it will dictate what of the above you can use, and what size. An average light spinning rod will cast 10-30g, a middle weight 30-60g and a heavier one 30-90g. Most lures etc are marked with their weight and if within the casting weight range of the rod. Simply attach to the end of the line and 'bobs your uncle' spinning in its most basic form!

You are best using a light line 8-12lb, but attaching a leader may be necessary if you will be dragging your catch out from rocks or targeting anything with teeth. It is also a good idea to attach a small clip to the end of the line to make changing lure quick and easy.

More complicated setups can be made using feathers or rubber eels and weights, but I would suggest starting out with a selection of spinners - Dexter Wedge is about the best all rounder.

Technique us simple, cast it out, let it sink, reel it in. Varying the depth and speed of retreive helps until you find fish, and accept the fact that many of the predators like Pollack live near the bottom, so tackle loss will happen.

At the end of the day, I think you will find this to be about the most satisfying form of sea fishing from the shore that there is!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers lads went out had a lot of fun with it, i blanked but i still enjoyed something diffreent, thanks for the advice again chaps

tight lines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts