World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there

new to sea fishing got a new beachcaster a few weeks ago fishing with it of the cliffs at arbroath useing peeler crab muscles black lug all frozen bait no luck yet.

but seen a guy spinning of there he looked to be doing well with three fish cot in about half an hour.

but buy the time i got around to pack up and go over to ask him a few questions about the geer he was using he had packed up and gone home.

can anyone give me some addvice on the best types of spinning rod for rough ground. or would a john wilson debut 10ft spinning rod do the job.

tight lines

·
Registered
568 Posts
I like to fish for pollack as light as possible, so if I can get down to water level then I use a light spinning rod. However, for the really big fish, or when fishing any distance from water level, then a bass rod (ie 2-4oz rated) is a better option.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply

do you think the masterline john wilson debut 10ft spinning rod will do the job?

i can get done to the water line or about 4ft from it

·
Registered
568 Posts
In a word 'Dunno'

Seriously - I am not familar with the rod, but ANY light spinning rod will be good enough for small-medium shore pollack. Be sure to set the drag on your reel so that the fish can take line on the initial surge. How big are the fish in your area ?

My light set up is an 11ft rod rated 1-3oz but the rating is a bit overstated because it isnt up to anything more than a gentle lob with 2oz. Mostly when spinning for pollack I use ball or barrel weights weighing 1/2 or 3/4 of an ounce. This outfit has 'tamed' pollack to 5lb but bigger fish have smashed me up (which is when the bass rod gets an outing)

Sadly, it is almost the end of pollack season in my part of the world - roll on next spring.

I can't help wondering why pollack do not get the enthusiatic following that bass and codling get... a 3lb pollack on light tackle is much more fun than, say, a codling of that size cranked in on heavy tackle. Perhaps it is something to do with the lack of pollack in the south east of England (where all UK media including angling magazines seems to be biased...)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanksa again for the responce and the info

sorry to be a pain but can you tell me how far from the spinner you put the weight. and what size line you use it seems like anything less than 30bls line is going to get lost where i am i have tried a few different and lost loads of tackle.

i think you are right about the pollock though i have been watching a prog called fishing on the edge with henry gilbey and that is the reason for me to go get some pollock.

you say it is the end of the season where you are didnt know there was a season when is it and where are you

i have heard that the pollock in my area can be anything from 2 to 6 lbs

thanks again for all your helpfull info.

tight lines

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I fish the Aberdeehsire coast, so fishing for pollock will be similar for us.

For Pollock I use a light 10ft spinning rod rated at 10-40 gram casting weight. I also use 20 lb braid, so that I get thin line, but still have strength to pull me out of the kelp etc. Even a 1 lb Mackeral is good fun on this rod.

I have had good success with jelly worms, and jelly double tails (more success with these than hard lures and spinners). I use either lead heads of about 1 oz, or a barrel lead on the main line, with a bead and a swivel and about 3' of flowing trace with the jelly and a 3/0 Aberdeen hook on.

Pollock are still in our area, as are the saithe. During the summer months, I was catching resident codling up to a maximum of 3lb using the same stuff as above as well. The Pollock have been usually up to 2 1/2lb, but I have lost some bigger ones, up to about 5 or 6lb.

Like the Manx Fisher says, the tackle I am using takes a hammering from a 5lb Pollock, and they can quite easily head into some rocks or kelp and all you can do is keep the pressure on and hope they make a move. The light tackle is terrific fun compared to a beachcaster when fishing for these smaller fish.

However, as Cod season is upon us, I will be using bait more frequently, but still take my spinning rod with me, as if the water is clear, then it is worth giving it a go while you are waiting for a bite on the bait rod.

I am sure your 10ft rod will be fine - however, corrosion may be a problem if it was intended for fresh water use only.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

An excellent Forum.

Thanks lads

Drew

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks lewisteh

i am still waiting on the rod comeing through the post. <_<

cant wait to get out and try it i think i will look out for a good bass rod as well as i am not sure weather the rod is corrosion resistant or not. am i right in thinking that it should be ok if i wash it down with fresh water at the end of a session.

i must admit that i was buying blind not really being sure witch spinning rod was right for the job i just wish that i had found this site first.

i have posted on some other sites about this with no replies i thought just go for it at the price the rod cost £10.50 with £8.00 postage it cant be that bad.

again many thanks to every one on this one.

tight lines

1 - 9 of 9 Posts