World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is probaly a subject that comes up alot

i want to put together a spinning outfit,inc rod and reel.

i dont know much about the rods and the weights and actions but i know what i want to use it for.
i want to spin for bass and pollack off the rock marks in anglesey, using lures from the dexter,storm and rapala ranges, like the chugbug and similar, and livebaiting with sandeal and prawn/shrimp.
also i will be going on holiday to florida later on this year and would like to be able to use it there aswell.

i have read about the shimano exage travel rods, but are they suitable to use seriously or a they a "holiday"rod. and which one?

and what reel will be a good choice to pair up with the rod.
maybe a shimano baitrunner of some sort with a rear drag?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Martyn 1,

A coleague of mine purchased a Shimano Exage 1220 Boat Rod last year to take with him on his travels. I have used it on many occasions and found it an excellent rod. It obviously has its limitations, but I can assure you that it is not a toy, it is far superior to some of the rubbish on the market.

Last year on a fishing trip I witnesed a 55lb Conger being caught with an identical rod coupled with an Abu 6500 Mag Elite. In all honesty I would not have believed it if I had'nt witnessed it with my own eyes.

I am sure that the spinning versions must just be as good.

Please PM me with any further questions and I will put you in touch with the owner.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts