World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a shimano beastmaster lure rod 20-50g. I need a bit of info on what reel to purchase for it. I don't want to spend hundreds on a reel as I am just a beginner, but I would like a reel that will last more than one season. Also I have some savagear sand eels 42g to use, how are these best fished? Can i fish from the shore without rocks nearby etc, with or without a surf or just around rocky areas. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Scotty , reels are expendable as they generally don't last , even some of the more expensive ones don't really last in a salt environment ! Look at a reel that costs no more than £100 and consider it a throwaway after a year maybe two ! Spend more and maybe 3 years ! Have it serviced and get a bit longer out of it and add that to the initial cost , your on a hiding to nothing whatever !
Savage gear sandeels can be used from many different locations depending on depth and the kind of sea bed you are fishing over . If it's rough you might end up losing a few , if it's your only choice of
lure then you are blxcexd , you will need to buy a few hundred more lures to cover every conceiable situation and then consign the ones that don't work for you to the box of doom !

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Reels don't have to cost the earth, something like a daiwa ninja for £50 will do you well, I've had one, cant fault it, I now use a shimano nasci that's about £85 and it's awesome

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I have both ninjas for freshwater and nasci for a sea travel set up
The nasci has poor line lay but is salt proof , the ninja excellent line lay but not salt proof , if you dont dunk the ninja and keep the bail roller maintained(regular good medium oil) it will be a better reel , especially the LT2018 or later ( imo ).
I bought the nasci after reading an Alan Hawk review saying it was much better than an exage , shame he didnt mention the line lay !

·
Read Only
14,610 Posts
ordered one of those kastkings for 40 quid delivered, not sure if theres a spare spool. lasts a year ile be happy dont really care if it wont stand up mechanically compaired to cabos stellas etc. if a heap of 30lb fish turn up ile worry bout it then.

·
Read Only
14,610 Posts
Matt b
Look after it and it will last
My mate rates it along side his diawa bg
I've just got the kastking shakey gold lll
11 bearings 18kg drag and water tight
been reading the linelays very good as is the drag, hope so, we just dont get the bigger fish like the yanks do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts