World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to sea fishing although I have done a fair bit of fresh water.

I have a beachcasting rod but I have been advised by a few people to get a spinning rod - around 9 to 10 ft as these are fairly universal and more fun. Obviously they carry different casting weights and I wondered what I should be looking at as I would also like to use it for ledger fishing too. Would 40g be enough or should I be going up to 60/80?

Can anyone recommend a good budget rod of up to £50?? I have seen this online and seems cheap for a shimano.....is it too good to be true? http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shimano-vengeance-bass-combo~10144.html

Many thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm new to sea fishing too (I don't know how that happened, given I've been living on Guernsey for the last 3 years, but there you go) Anyway I used the very same rod a few weeks ago and fished with it everyday for a week and was very impressed.

The one I used was an 8' version.At the time I could only really compare it to the carp fishing rods I've been using for the last 10 years but it reminded me of a stiffer version of my stalking rod but with more of a tip rather than a through action. Light, very easy to cast with one hand (much easier than my stalking rod) and I landed fish to 4lb with no problem. I also had a 2.5lb bass that I had to pull through some weed. It felt like it could handle more. I was using the 20-60g version to cast 19g and 25g lures as well as live sandeels and was achieving up to 20 -25 yds. I'm not sure if this is any good but it's as far as I needed it to be.

Didn't try any ledgering with it

I haven't used a Catana reel for sea fishing but I have for freshwater fishing and have had carp to 12lb, again with no problem. I've since bought the rod to keep as a spare.

·
Registered
479 Posts
if you really want a SPINNING rod get a SALT spin,

however if you would also like it to do light bait faishing and float fishing exceptionally well get a SALT flattie for £30

edit: reading what you have said get a SALT flattie, it is good for all your light fishing, and will work a plug well too if needs be, truly is the bargain of the century

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm new to sea fishing too (I don't know how that happened, given I've been living on Guernsey for the last 3 years, but there you go) Anyway I used the very same rod a few weeks ago and fished with it everyday for a week and was very impressed.

The one I used was an 8' version.At the time I could only really compare it to the carp fishing rods I've been using for the last 10 years but it reminded me of a stiffer version of my stalking rod but with more of a tip rather than a through action. Light, very easy to cast with one hand (much easier than my stalking rod) and I landed fish to 4lb with no problem. I also had a 2.5lb bass that I had to pull through some weed. It felt like it could handle more. I was using the 20-60g version to cast 19g and 25g lures as well as live sandeels and was achieving up to 20 -25 yds. I'm not sure if this is any good but it's as far as I needed it to be.

Didn't try any ledgering with it

I haven't used a Catana reel for sea fishing but I have for freshwater fishing and have had carp to 12lb, again with no problem. I've since bought the rod to keep as a spare.
thanks for the advice...where did you get the 20-60 version from?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I got the 20-60g version from my local tackle shop. Micks Fishing Supplies in Guernsey. The guys there have been really helpful. I was advised to go for the 20-60g version on the basis that most of the time I fish with live sandeels - not sure of the rationale behind that but all their advice thus far has been spot on, so I wasn't going to argue.

I've got a couple of days off now and am taking my Dad out fishing for a few days - he'll be using the Shimano/Catana combo. If we have any joy I'll let you know how he gets on with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts