World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to spinning just got all my kit and put 12 pound line on my reel now do i put shock leader on or not and if i do what sort should it be and what braking strain
thanks
chris

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
no shock leader (you will be able to cast 30g lures now worries) - just put a clip on the end of your mono

·
Registered
33 Posts
They say that the rule of thumb guide for a beach casting shock leader is 10lb for every 1oz used.

you'll be using lures weighing in the region of 10g - 30g. so no need.

but saying that I had a couple lost a couple of lures when starting out using braid, but may have been down to knot i was using??

Pix

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hi all new to spinning just got all my kit and put 12 pound line on my reel now do i put shock leader on or not and if i do what sort should it be and what braking strain
thanks
chris
Hi, yes all these rules definitely apply when using mono as your mainline, cos of it's stretch value, but with braid, be extra cautious as it has little or no shock resistance, and if anything goes wrong with your cast, eg. a knot catching somewhere or line around your tip ring, forgetting to take off the bail arm (it has been done!)....BANG, bye bye lure, but braid is very nice to use with lures. cheers:thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.