World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to fish weds morning as im off work for the week. got up at 04.30 packed the car and left, i must be gettin good cos i didnt wake the missus. first stop was pow peir where i sprinted along to the first bend and set up my bread bag before sprinting back to the car and to the hoe i went.
on arriving i found the barrier down which confused me a bit til i read the sign bout pressing the buzzer for security guard which i duly did and i was in.
down at the hoe i opted for the folkestone end and repeatedly cast and retrieved as i walked along, several splashes were heard as i went but nothing that big, on arriving at the folkestone corner i changed my lure to a diving mackeral pattern and chucked it as far as i could, a slow steady retrieve was employed as i watched a coulple of mackeral chasing whitebait, after about 3 chucks i watched a couple of schoolies chase my lure before diving away at the last minute this upped the anti a bit and i felt more confident. after several follows i decided to change lure from a jointed to a fixed pattern. first chuck as the lure swam 2 feet beneath the surface and the water behind it boiled then tap, WHAM! i was in! it became apparent that it was no monstor and i soon hand lined my first lure caught bass up the wall at about a pound and a half it was just about sizeable so after unhooking it was released back into the morning tide. i was well chuffed and ive got to say you get a much bigger buzz catching bass on balanced tackle.
the next half dozen casts were quiet so i walked towards the beach where i could see a few splashes, but by the time i got there the fish had moved so it was back to my original spot. after a few lure changes i saw a splash at about 50yds and saw two boils on the surface so cast my lure toward them landing just short. about 10 yds into the retrieve i thought id snagged a rock then BANG BANG!the rock decided to take off against my lightly set drag 'fish on!' and this one was bigger! i played it for 10 minutes or so and at first thoughts it was a 6 or 7 pounder, it really put up a scrap.
realising i had left my drop net in the car i repeatedly said something that rhyms with duck. and i set about walking the fish to the beach i sucessfully guided it round the rocks by letting it swim out a way and finally beached it. once in my hand i found it to be smaller than originally thought at 4 or 5lb which i decided to keep for my tea. now i was really chuffed 2 lure caught bass in one session! as the sun was comin up i decided to go back to the POW and see if their were any mullet around my bread bag. i fished hard for a couple of hours and saw a few small mullet in the 1-2lb bracket but that was it. before long i got the call from the missus my fishing for the day was over but then it was only 9am.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well done again mate.... Yet to hook a Bass on the lure but can imagine its a great scrap.....:boxing:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Niceone Wolfgang, can't beat a bit of spinning or float fishing in the Sea, use to fish fresh water but lost interest to EASY.
Bass on the lure is a rush.

Thats what keeps us going back for more, even when we blank for the next two trips, that one makes it worth while.

WWoll

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
you know what that sounds a great buzz must give it a go sometime great report and good result well done m8

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
The early worm catches the bird...or fish in this case. good time for bass fishing as the sun is coming up they are on the feed!

Well done!

·
Registered
PB BASS 75CM
7,908 Posts
HI WOLFY
i no exactly wot u mean wen u catch that 1st bass on light tackle ive just started spinnin last yr and to be honest i blanked quite alot was gettin bit p*****d of spending 3/4hrs casting out and reeling in also waiting for the rite conditions which ave to be near on perfect like u 4 am on a rock ledge just hopeing, its being there that ives u the buzz the biggest bass i had last yr was a 4ib'er of the breakwater rocks at ramsgate ferry terminal must of hit my toby no more than 12ft from where i was fishin its worth puttin the time in just to get that hit my mate on here joe sepi had 6 last wk-end on a maria chase and his mate had 4
Also wot i like bout spinnin is you can hop from one rock mark to another with-out being laid down with gear
keep at it its a fantastic way to fish for bass
tight-lines happy spinnin
ROCK-ROVER

·
Registered
PB BASS 75CM
7,908 Posts
Well done again mate.... Yet to hook a Bass on the lure but can imagine its a great scrap.....:boxing:
hi wahoo
u can imagine but hooking one is a different thing all-together
keep at it your get a take one day
tight-lines
ROCK-ROVER

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Well done Wolfgang. Hope to get my first in ireland in a couple of weeks....can't wait.

·
Registered
521 Posts
That made good reading Wolfgang. I prefer the morning to evening. allthough I am sure both are good. Mornings always seem quieter.

Brings back some very good memories for me. Starting to get the hump with spinning. I admit have not been much this year but when I have turned up in perfect conditions I have been frustraited by lack of bass.
Went camping down the warren Sun Mon just gone. boiling hot clear water no mackerel boils seen and little else action. Did see one fellow with a couple of mackerel to show for an afternoons feather chucking. all others blacked.

My success was limited to a single mackerel & small pollock of the rocky area's Monday morning spinning. whilst I resorted to catching a goby down the wall of the apron to give the kids something to look at.
bright and early Tuesday morning I was met with the remains of the overnight thunderstorm and a stiff SW chop and lots of bow in your line. not ideal.

If you were feeling good before, you should feel even better now.

Keep it up

Col.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Col

Where a bouts do you park and camp at the warren.

Unlucky with you trip, by all accounts it can be a good spot if the weather is right.

Joe

·
Registered
851 Posts
hi wahoo
u can imagine but hooking one is a different thing all-together
keep at it your get a take one day
tight-lines
ROCK-ROVER
Hi Rock Rover...

I have only had 2 attempts so far this year,, been busy fishing for the Smuts!!

I'm intending to give it good go after this weekend... "weather permitting":g:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tried again last night conditions looked good all day until it started raining at 5! by 7 rain had stopped and i set off on my quest, to cut what could have been a long story short i ended up with 1 mackeral and 1 pollack.
till next time....

ps im going to try the POW pier tonight for pollack and chance of sole for a change if anybody would care to join me come on down il be there till 1amish.....:nerd:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts