World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In fresh water fishng dead baits are 'wobbled' basically used as a lur for pike, zander and perch, does anyone know/think it would be possible to pennell a whole squid and then use it for spinning, freelining or with some sort of added weight?
I'm just asking as I was just defrosting some and looking at the shape they swim 'backwards' I'm sure they could be retrieved in a jerky lif like manner.
Chris.

F

·
0 Posts
I have to admit i have never tried that method. I have though in fact caught squid whilst spinning. Some can put up a decent fight on light tackle.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I think the thing with wobbling deadbaits for pike etc. is the fact that the bait is made to mimic a disressed/dying fish. I am not sure how a squid would act in this state therefore how would the retieve be made. If the squid is mounted on trebles you may get a better presentation. Could be worth a try.
Have you ever tried squid for pike that could be interesting also?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking it migh make a good carp bait, thin strips on a size ten, you buy squid flavoured boilies!! Een for fresh water eels. I have caught carp on dead baits several times along with bream, so i'm sure they would take squid.
I was thinking that mabe a chunk of mackeral would be more effective than a whole one as most pike anglers use.

As for mimicking it, squid mostly swim in a jerky manner, by expelling water out of their syohon when travelling at speed. So I guess a jerky sink and draw might work?
By the fact that it wouldn't look 100% natural it must look injured to a fish. It might be worth a try lobbing one about into deep water on a calm night, I know pollack take squid too.

It must be strange catching squid, a strange jerky fight I'd imagine,
where abouts where you when you caught them?
I did see that episode of River Side Cottage where they went jigging for squid, that looked fun. That was off of Devon somewhere I think.

The closest I've come is one washing up at Cromer in Norfolk, it was over a food long. Made some great bait though!! Quarter inch thick, and jsut the right consistancy.

F

·
0 Posts
Tozer said:
where abouts where you when you caught them?
I live up in the north of Scotland and was spinning for sea trout. They were taken near to the River Spey mouth. It was at sunset and they were taking mackerel look-a-like/silver spinners.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I think I heard something about there being a good squid fishery up there, might even have been on here, I would have thought squid would be too slow to catch a spinner.
The one I saw had turned dark read and was wailing it's arms about in slow motion then when I put it in a bucket of water it just turned it all jet black instantly!!!
How big were the one you caught?
Maybe they could take be the new fishing craze, spinning for squid!!!!

F

·
0 Posts
I don't know how heavy they were. But UK squid are way bigger then calamari squid. Probably they were about 3 times the size of calamari ones.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Arc,
Pike tend to go for more oily and bloody baits,,,herring,mack,lamprey etc. but I am going to give a whole calamari a go on one of my rods next time i`m out piking,,
you never know!!!!!

Terry F.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Garfish, mackeral both go for a thin calamari tenticle spun. I use a two inch bubble float with a three foot trace and no 8 hook! Works a treat! Ive also had a small mullet take it once! Thinks!!! It could work on a leadhead - must try!!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kelvindavies11 said:
terry let us all know how u get off. ill try spinning it over next weekend.

kelvin
Are you talking about spinning in the sea or freas water?

I'll have to try that for gars I've never caught one but I have sen them flashing about and even jumping out of the water when my lead hit the water. I've got about 7lbs of squid at the mintue, I got it cheap from a wholesaler.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
nice mate, i am talking about the sea. im thinking of using one of thos ecoak things you use in fresk water when dead baiting, i think its call a wobble, im going to use this to give the squid a bit more realist movement any thoughts???
kelvin

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is that one of those thinkings with a stiff wire bit you insert inside the bait and a pait of trebles down the side whcih you use to anchor the bait?
If it is i reckon it would work, a pennal attatchment might not work. I'm gonna try it in Ireland off of hook head i think, i'll let you know how i get on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts