World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have neva done any spinning before and i was thinking of having ago, how do you get enough weight for the spinner to cast out to a decent distance?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Rob,

Most spinners/lures come in variable weights, 8grm 12grm 15 grm etc etc try with a 28grm toby which is quite heavy, I am sure this will give you enough distance to start with.

But.....as with all fishing when you are wanting distance, make sure you have enough line on your reel to cast the distance.

hope this helps

john

·
Registered
686 Posts
Go for the ABU Koster ( silver ) - available on-line from most tackle shops - get the 40g size using 12-15lb line, casts well and good for most fish.

·
Registered
568 Posts
With the right tackle you will be surprised at how far you can cast even a light spinner, but spinning is 3 dimensional - you have distance, direction and depth to consider and experiment with.

Where you cast is much more important than how far you cast - this could even be sideways along a rock face in some instances. Even on a long cast you frequently find that fish hit you right under the rod tip.

I love spinning - the fish give such good sport on light tackle. How fun it is to have a half decent pollack crash dive under the rod tip, stripping line from the reel in the process :D

·
Registered
686 Posts
A slow steady retrieve will take fish - but a sink and draw method can be better as fish will take the lure 'on the drop '.

Cast out wind a couple of turns let the lure settle then pull the lure through the water ( keeping the rod low or horizontal ) using the rod - wind in to take up the slack and repeat.

Like most fishing you need to know how deep the fish are feeding so it's trial and error until you get the first one.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
To reafirm the point Manx Fisher made.

After repeatedly casting as far as I could without success - the biggest Pollock I ever hooked, took my lure within ten feet of where I was.

It is more important to search around the features of where you are, than it is to cast as far as possible. Look for currents, eddys, swirls, kelp beds, rock formations etc. Try to search them all (without getting snagged all the time if possible).

As Manx said - casting sideways along rock formations and reefs can be very productive.

Don't always just retrieve your lure straight in. Try different speeds, try jerking the line, try sink and draw - try anything - you will find what works best in time.

You may have Bass where you are, which I have no experience of, but I use all of the above for Pollock and summer codling.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
say that i was fishing over a rocky beach, would i have to just keep reeling not to get snagged or would i be able to stop then reel in agen?

·
Registered
686 Posts
On the initial cast you need to let the lure sink to the desired depth- then start the retrieve and keep the lure in the 'fish' zone.

If it's really rocky ground then you could try taking the treble hook of the lure and replacing it with a single hook. The other option is to fish one of the weighted rubber shads with the hook protruding out of the top of the lure ( such as the Storm 'wildeye' shad ) and a drilled bullet/ or spiral weight - though these will not cast as far as a metal lure.

Are you trying to target a specific species ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no spellbound i'm not after specific species just havn't tried spinning before and was thinking of tyring it, but if i was going after anything i think it would be bass any certain way u should fish for these?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rob, a 9ft spinning rod will zip out a 30g lure 60 to 70 yds in good conditions. small fixed spool reel, and 30 pound braid, which is very thin. Tie direct to the lure. For light rubber eels, you will need to use a 30g weight, and the eel on a long trace with a swivel. Tie your line to the swivel, and clip the weight to the swivel as well. Works most of the time.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Rob - bass will take lures near the surface - another method of 'spinning' is to use rubber eels ( such as eddystone or redgills ) these can be fished about 4ft behind what's called a 'surface controller' ( basically a weighted float ) or a bubble float.

The advantage of these is that the are usually 100% snag free so you don't lose many, the downside is that casting distance is poor.

Plugging is another option - though as these lures are very expensive I would try out the standard metal lures first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts